Views
Helpful
Replies

Help installing Win2012R2 on C220M5SX MRAID 10 virtual drive

agarfin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! 

I am trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Cisco c220 m5sx. It is in non managed mode and running CIMC 3.1(2b). It is speced with the onboard Cisco 12G Modular Raid Controller with 2GB cache (max 16 drives) (MRAID) controller. There are 4 installed physical drives, each 1.8 TB. I have created a raid 10 virtual drive using all 4 physical drives and configured it as a boot drive. See the linked photo. vd config.PNGI am in UEFI boot mode. 

I am trying to install windows via an iso mapped to the KVM cd drive. 

Inside the windows installer I see no drives to install too. Using a command prompt diskpart list disk shows zero drives. I have tried using drvload to install multiple drivers from the ucs-cxxx-drivers-windows.3.1.2b cd including all of the drivers in the LSI folder. After using drvload and getting a success diskpart rescan shows no changes. 

Has anyone run into this problem before? I would love some help. What do I need to install Windows 2012R2 on the onboard raid controller? Thanks. 

Andrew 

5 Replies 5

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When the server boots and the option ROM for the RAID controller logs, you should see something similar to "Virtual Drives handled by the BIOS". Do you see this message?

When you boot up and press F6, there should be UEFI boot options listed in the "Select Boot Device" menu, IIRC.

If you break the RAID and attempt to just install to a single disk as a test, does Windows see this drive?

Thanks for the reply. 

I think I figured it out. I needed the megasas35.inf driver from the ucsc-raid-m5 folder. 

Why it wasnt from the folder with a name matching the raid controller?? Who knows... 

Hey, I just had this exact same problem and your solution fixed it. I appreciate you responding with what worked for you.

Hi, Yes I also faced with the same issue when i tried to install windows 2016 in C240 M5 server and Thankfully I found this thread.  Thanks a lot.

You are MVP. I was so frustrated that I was picking the driver that matched the part number and windows wouldn't see the drives. Thank you for figuring this out and posting. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card