Helpful
Replies

Host Firmware Package, server reboot, UCS 2.1.2a

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I did a manual upgrade from 2.0.4b to 2.1.2a

Infrastructure went ok

Then I created a Host Firmware Package, added it to the SP: Adaptor, BIOS, Controller was updated properly, NOT CIMC.

Finally I found that customer had a management firmware package, defined, which was keeping CIMC at 2.0.4b

I wanted to manually update CIMC, but this fails, with the message, that FP exists.

Q: What happens when I remove the Management Firmware Policy from the SP ?

Q. will the HFP kick in, and update CIMC ?

Q. Is this non disruptive (no server boot); only CIMC has to be updated, the rest is already ok

Walter.

2 Replies 2

alhaider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Walter,

You can safetly remove the Management  firmware package. Before UCSM 2.1 version, there were two different  policies for blade upgrade. We had firmware packages to upgrade BIOS,  adapter, etc and a Managment firmware package for Blade CIMC upgrade. In  UCSM 2.1 all these components can be upgraded directly from the host  firmware package and Management firmware policy is not required.  UCS no  longer supports the creation of  management firmware  package but you can modify or update existing one,  if you want. But  recommendation is to remove management firmware package  from all  service profiles and use host firmware package to update CIMC  on  servers.

Q: What happens when I remove the Management Firmware Policy from the SP ?

A. When you remove Management Firmware policy the blade would remain at its existing CIMC version. If the Host firmware package is in place then it will kick in and update the CIMC according to the host firmware package

Q. will the HFP kick in, and update CIMC ?

A.   The host firmware package should automatically kick in and start  upgrading the CIMC. If for some reason it doesn't, you can either  upgrade the CIMC manually or just re-apply the host firmware package.

Q. Is this non disruptive (no server boot); only CIMC has to be updated, the rest is already ok

A. if only CIMC  has to be updated then it should be non-disruptive. All data paths  should remain online and no reboot is required. However, all KVM session  to that specific blade would be unavailable during the upgrade.

If UCSM evaluates that a component such as BIOS or adapter needs  to be updated, then it should give you a warning before a reboot as  long as the maintenance policy is set to user-ack for the service  profile.

Ali

Thanks Ali, I will verify it with one server, and let you know the result !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card