cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does S3260LUN sizing work?

JLCrabtree
Level 1
Level 1

I have an S3260 storage server with 48 5722031MB (5.47TB, or '6TB' marketing size) disks. I'd like to make a single RAID 60 LUN that spans the entire set, but so far the largest size the UCSM will let me make is 50000GB (roughly 48TB), which seems like a wantonly wasteful amount of overhead for ~261TB of disks. What am I missing here? I've tried explicitly defining disks, spans, and spares and evening defining nothing beyond the RAID level, but nothing I do will get me more than 48TB in a LUN.

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

What are the size of your individual raid 6 segments  & number of drives in each segment?

Are you doing a 8 sets of 7disk raid 6 ?

Thanks,

Kirk... 

@Kirk J

It seems my struggle is with two different aspects of the configuration. The first, and currently resolved, was the Disk Zoning Policy, which was not configured to assign enough disks to the same controller. The second is the Automatic Disk Group Configuration.  If I manually create disk groups, I am able to setup a RAID 6+0 consisting of two RAID6 spans of 22 disks each, with 1 dedicated spare per span, and 2 global spares. Inside that RAID I am able to create a 218TB LUN. I would prefer to use the automatic configuration, if possible, as I'll have to setup a second one of these in another data center next week. Is there a guide with recommended settings vs. desired storage space? I'm setting this up as a backup target, so reliability and capacity are my primary concerns more than performance.

Oh, so you are using UCSM integration, storage profiles, disk group policies, etc.

Kirk...

Yes, we already have two 5108 chassis and the corresponding FIs that manage them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card