cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does vSphere recognize uplink ports with UCS?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

The subject is alittle bit fuzzy as I could not write something else more descriptive...

Here is what I mean and am struggling with:

Inside vcenter, when creating a portgroup for a distributed switch, I can configure uplink teaming and failover assuming I have at least two vmnics been recognized by vsphere. However which port/vnic inside UCS really represent the vmnics I am using for portgroup uplinks?

The issue I have is I configure VLANs for vNIC inside UCS but somehow they doesnot seem like to be corresponding to my portgroup uplinks inside vsphere...

Does this make sense?

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please have a look at

https://www.tintri.com/resources/whitepapers/cisco-ucs-deployment-and-best-practice-guide

Configure the Hosts

vSphere Host Configuration

Configure a New Distributed Port Group for a dvSwitch

and check

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12947461/nic-teaming-supported-ucs

For VMware host use active/active NIC load balancing based on vPort-ID.

Don't use LACP and/or load balancing based on IP,

VMware DVS supports LACP, but UCS FI's don’t. Southbound !!

I do have the NIC teaming and failover configured as "Route based on originating virtual port" under portgroup. How can I verify which vNIC inside UCS represents vmnic1 and vmnic2 inside vsphere? I would need to see if UCS southbound links (total 4 links to each IOM) are configured as port channel.

Q: How can I verify which vNIC inside UCS represents vmnic1 and vmnic2 inside vsphere?

A: Usually vnic1 is vmnic1 in vSphere. In case of doubt, check the mac address in UCSM and vSphere to map these.

MAC address always works and is the final check.  YOu can also enable CDP on your connectivity policy and use cdp through the vsphere client. 

You can also run 'lspci | grep vmnic' in ESXi and it will show you what vmnic map to what physical adapters. Then you can use mac address to confirm in UCSM/CIMC.

-Wes

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card