Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add second iSCSI vNIC to boot order

wdongstg1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring iSCSI boot with UCS, my issue is how to add second iSCSI vNIC to boot order and implement  multipath for boot lun.

1. Configured server profile level iqn.

2. Add two vNICs and two iSCSI vNICs(iscsi_1 and iscsi_2).

3. Add  iSCSI vNICs(iscsi_1 and iscsi_2) to boot order, iscsi_1 is primary, iscsi_2 is secondary.

Once installed VMware ESXi5.5 and booted up, find only iscsi_1's vNIC is used for iSCSI.

From vSphere Client, we can see it created a "iScsiBootvSwitch" and vmkernel "iScsiBootPG" , but it only related to one vNIC.

So how to let the second iSCSI vNIC recognized? I plan to implement multipath.

Many thanks for your help.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Matthew Crocker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately only the iSCSI boot parameters that the host successfully boots off will be passed through to the OS. You need to manually create the secondary port-profile for iSCSI_2. You can rename both these port-profiles to something easy to distinguish them. After completing, this configuration will persist between reboots. If you are using AutoDeploy then configure your reference host as desired and capture its state.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your help.

Does it mean I need to manually configure seconday port into iscsi configuration via vSphere client, no change to the server project in UCS manager? 

Yeah you need to add in the second one manually. Just follow the config from the first port-profile.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card