Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check Qlogic CNA (C-200-M1) in ESX 4.0

leninvs2502
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm working with C-200-M1 server that have 1 FCoE Qlogic CNA. I've just installed ESX 4.0 Update 1, but I'm not shure if ESX has recognized the Qlogic CNA as a Storage Adapter or only as a Network Adapter.

I've attached some screenshots. I'll be very grateful if anybody can help me.

Thanks in advance

Lenin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I have not followed or used VMware install notes, only readme

and release notes from Qlogic ESX driver download page. I have

only ever loaded latest drivers to ESX 4.0 U1 or U2, both worked well

http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchByProduct.aspx?ProductCategory=322&Product=1102&Os=167

View solution in original post

Hi lenin

Which type of your Qlogic CNA? QLE 8152?

If you want to use SAN Boot, you need to download driver from VMWare, and mount the ISO when ESX 4U1 ask if you want to install the 3rd driver.

If you don't want to use SAN Boot, you can complete the ESX 4U1 installation, and use esxcfg-update to install the driver.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

mfrase
Level 1
Level 1

Your FCoE driver did not load correct, above is screen shot of what is should look like when proper load.  Qlogic install guide and release notes do cover install well, I have used the install instructions a notes several times in my CNA installs.

Thank you mfrase

I installed this driver "VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 Driver CD for QLogic 8100 Series 10GbE CNA" (2010/06/17) from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx40_ql8100_10039_cna_dt/ZHcqYmRoKmhiZHR3Kg when I was installing ESX4.0 Update1.

Could you give me some guidelines about driver installation or links for search information.

Thanks

Lenin

Hi,

From your screenshots no Fibre Channel adapter is there (Note that if you have a CNA it will still display as a vHBA with Type Fiber Channel on your Storage Adapters)

Did you install the drivers on the host ? Updating the ESX host (to update 2) might solve your problem ....

Nuno Ferreira

screen shot attached

I have not followed or used VMware install notes, only readme

and release notes from Qlogic ESX driver download page. I have

only ever loaded latest drivers to ESX 4.0 U1 or U2, both worked well

http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchByProduct.aspx?ProductCategory=322&Product=1102&Os=167

Thanks mfrase, I downloaded the drivers from this web, but I've just seen this note

Note: To deploy this driver, you MUST update/replace the ESX/ESXi Inbox FC CIM Provider with the CIM Provider v1.3.1 provided in the API Libraries table below.

NameVersionDescriptionSupport Files
FC-FCoE Driver (x86/x64)831.k1.25vmw FC-FCoE driver for VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0, 4.0 U1.

Note: To deploy this driver, you MUST update/replace the ESX/ESXi Inbox FC CIM Provider with the CIM Provider v1.3.1 provided in the API Libraries table below.

Do you think that it's my problem?

I'll update to CIM Provider v1.3.1

Tanks a lot

Thank you Nuno,

Like I said to mfrase:

I installed this driver "VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 Driver CD for QLogic 8100 Series 10GbE CNA" (2010/06/17) from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx40_ql8100_10039_cna_dt/ZHcqYmRoKmhiZHR3Kg when I was installing ESX4.0 Update1.

I'm going to do a lab with a customer who wants to test in ESX4.0 Update1 so I have to maintain this version.

Another idea?

thanks

Lenin

4.0u1 should not require any additional drivers. I just installed 4.0 u1 build 208167 on a B200 with gen-1 Qlogic mexx.

If you break into the ESX console and run the following you can check for the 10G and FC interfaces

esxcfg-nics -l

esxcfg-scsidevs -a

Thanks for replying damcfarl, actually I'm working with a C-200-M1 server, and I can't see FC adapters.

No problem. I showed the output for both the nic and fc out of the qlogic

CNA. The esxcfg-nics -l will show you your 10G adapter. it's the first example output in the screen capture

Hi lenin

Which type of your Qlogic CNA? QLE 8152?

If you want to use SAN Boot, you need to download driver from VMWare, and mount the ISO when ESX 4U1 ask if you want to install the 3rd driver.

If you don't want to use SAN Boot, you can complete the ESX 4U1 installation, and use esxcfg-update to install the driver.

Thanks Chen, that's a great info.

I reinstalled ESX4 U1 and used the drivers as you said. My problem was that I didn't install both drivers, for networking and for storage, as appears in Qlogic web site http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchByProduct.aspx?ProductCategory=322&Product=1102&Os=167

But when I reinstall ESX4 U1 with both drivers, it's going great

Leninvs I have quite an opposite kind of problem with me. I have CNA installed on the ESXI 5.0 and I see that storage adapter is present showing fc channel with the WNNs, my problem is that i dont see any of the 10G adapters corresponding to those CNA.

Should i supposed to to see both the Network adapter and Storage adapter for the CNA type adapters.

If not I have another question.

How do we make sure that installed virtual machine inside the ESXI is working as FCoE SAN target.

My main problem is:

1. How to establish the fcoe negotiation between the ESXI (on UCS c200M1) and Nexus 5K.

2. How to make sure that the virtual machine inside the ESXI is also mapped with the storage adapter in ESXI. when I installed the windows 2008Server inside the vm on ESXI I dont see any FC adapter inside the windows 2k8 server.

I installed the vmtools /Qlogic drivers and nothing worked out.

3. final and last thing I want to know that how do I make sure my LUNs inside the VM are properly accessible from the SCSI over FCOE initiator from nexus 5k

Here is my topology:

_____________________      FCOE                                 FCOE or FC    __________________

|SCSI over FCOE initiator|--------------------------NEXUS 5K ---------------------------|CISCO UCS c200M1|

--------------------------------------                                                                     --------------------------------

|-------inside UCS ESXI 5.1

|-----win2k8 server vm

|------openfiler vm

My target is to build a SAN environment over FCOE.

ALSO UCS doesnt allow me to install win2k8 directly on the box because all the HDD are not local.

Please guide, I am kind of stuck with this problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: