cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable the "Cisco Virtual FDD/HDD USB Device" on B200 M2 blade

95huskers
Level 1
Level 1

We've installed Windows 2008 R2 on a couple of B200 M2 blades.

Each of them is showing a "Removable Disk" in Windows Explorer.  (See attachment 1)

When you go to Disk Management and go to the properties of the disk (usually disk 1) it says the type of disk is a "Cisco Virtual FDD/HDD USB Device".  (See attachment 2)

Is there anyway to disable this device?  Either in the BIOS of the blade or the service profile?

4 Replies 4

Mathew Lewit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not finding a way to do it through Service Profile.   I think you can disable the device through Windows itself.

What is interesting is I have bare metal in my lab, and I am not seeing the USB, I am wondering if something changed in later versions.

What version of BIOS/Firmware are you running?

There was a request to put in this functionality CSCtn38010 but I am not seeing it as resolved.

There is an option to disable USB in the BIOS but you do not want to do this as it will lock out the keyboard and mouse and there is no easy way to get this back without a BIOS Recovery (not easy).

We are running firmware 1.4(1j).

Yasemin Akar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can disable it on the device manager(OS). You shouldn't touch the BIOS as my colleague mentioned. 

David.Jarzynka
Level 1
Level 1

Drew,

When you connect the virtual media this will appear. Once done, UCS warns you to eject this through the NOS before unmapping the virtual media. I would assume if you unmap the virtual media and eject the drive in Windows it should disappear.

To my knowledge there is no other way to keep this from appearing,

Dave

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card