cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to tell if VLAN added to 6248s?

Mike Erter
Level 1
Level 1

We are working to solve a connectivity problem with virtual machines on a Distributed Virtual Switch.

They are connected to a distributed port group that is configured with a VLAN, and the VLAN ID is entered in the distributed port group's properties as you would expect.

When I look in UCS Manager, I see the VLAN exists and of course this maps to the VLAN on the distributed virtual port group in vSphere.

The VMs still have no connectivity, even though things look right in vCenter and in UCS Manager.

How can I check on the 6248s to see if the VLAN has been added to the trunk down from the upstream switches? 

And/or is there any other way I can verify the VLAN is accessible?

Thanks,

Mike      

2 Replies 2

Mike Erter
Level 1
Level 1

It turns out that it was not added to the trunk between the upstream switches and the core switches.

Mike,

Glad to see issue is figured out already, just to add a detail for future reference in case you want to see VLANs allowed for a particular uplink.

You can find out allowed VLANs on a vEthernet interface with the following commands:

A# connect  nxos a/b  <<< a OR b depending on which FI you want to investigate

A(nxos)# sh pinning border-interfaces  << Will show uplink interface(s) each vEth is pinned to to get to the outside world

---------------------------+---------+----------------------------------------

Border Interface           Status    SIFs

---------------------------+---------+----------------------------------------

Po1 < uplink                 Active       VethX VethY VethM     <<< Interfaces VethX VethY VethM will use Po1 to go up

A(nxos)# sh inter vethernet x switchport  << (x=  choose any of the vEths) , this will show you allowed vlans

Name: Vethernetx

Switchport: Enabled

Switchport Monitor: Not enabled

Operational Mode: trunk

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking VLANs Enabled: 1

Hope that help somehow in the future

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card