Views
Helpful
Replies

How to tell new created vLAN to use new created Uplink Port Channel

Nevy
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

we have some UCS Domains administered by UCS Central2.0(1c). We have configured 2 new additional Uplink Ports and created in each FI a new Port Channel (nr 2). After that we have created new vLAN. My question is for my understanding or how to configure the next steps: How can should I configure the new vLAN / vNIC to take traffic through the new created Channel Port?e.g.If I assign to Service Profile Template the new vNIC template (with new created vLAN) the Server will have additional NIC for a new Network. The NIC or vNIC Or VLAN shoul be combined with the new created Port Channel, or shouldn't be? May be I have less knowledge about Routing or how is the Networking process in UCS .

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Nevzat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

robertdemay
Level 1
Level 1
You want to setup a Disjoint L2 Network.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_010101.pdf

We have a number of these already. We never used the Pin Groups. We just did Step 5 on Page 5 after you have the separate Portchannels setup.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

robertdemay
Level 1
Level 1
You want to setup a Disjoint L2 Network.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_010101.pdf

We have a number of these already. We never used the Pin Groups. We just did Step 5 on Page 5 after you have the separate Portchannels setup.

Hi Robert,

Thank You for your answer. That is what I'm looking for. On page 1 under Note "..By default, data traffic in Cisco UCS works on a principle of mutual inclusion. All traffic for all VLANs and upstream networks travels along all uplink ports and port channels. If you have upgraded from a
release that does not support upstream disjoint layer-2 networks, you must assign the appropriate uplink
interfaces to your VLANs, or traffic for those VLANs continues to flow along all uplink ports and port
channels..." That means, usually I needn't to configure somesthing additional as all traffic travels along all port channels...Our first release was 3.x, I think it supports upstream disjoint layer-2 Networks.
Best regards

Nevzat

So all VLANS will be using both Port Channels? If so, I believe by default everything will use the first port channel. If not, you will need to assign VLANs to the desired port channel. That is on Page 7 of the link I sent you.

Thank you very much ! I think it is better and professional to assignVLANs to the desired port channel.

Best regards

nevzat

Hi Robert, the Guide above is for UCSM (Manager) . I use UCS Central 2.0 (1c) to manage all our 4 UCS domains. So it make sense to configure disjointed L2 Networking using UCS Central Software. Do You know how to configure disjointed L2 Network in UCS Central?

Thanks and best regards
Nevzat
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: