Views
Helpful
Replies

HUU upgrade on UCS C220 M4s lasts forever. Boot esxi iso hangs

KSVSachsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a Cisco UCS C220 M4S one with Firmware 2.0.13n and try too upgrade it via the hhu 4.0.2g boot image. I have mounted it in the KVM Virtual Drive or alternativly via cmic CIFS/NFS Mount. With both options i can boot from the image (Pressing F6) then the iso will begin to load and and load and so on. The KVM keeps flickering between HUU Screenlogo and the linux boot output. After around 10 Minutesit stays at the Ootput Squashfs version 4.0 (2009/01/31) by Philip Lougher and there it hangs. At the last try i have waited  two hours and  nothing happened.

When i try to boot an esxi install iso to Upgrade the CVMWare version i got an similar Problem.  I get until Select install diskand disk scanning part and then im unable to press Enter  and select.

- I tried different types of mounting  the Images (CIMC CIFS/NFS, KVM ISO Passthrough)

- Different Shares Source Hosts

- Different Isos

- Re Downloaded and checked the Files

The Source Hosts/Shares are not on the same Subnet as the CIMC/CUCS . Could this be a Problem?

Has anyone made the same expierence ? How long is the normal Install/Boot duration of the HUU ISO ?

best regards

Robert

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
When I updated the CIMC to 4.0(2g) a few days ago it went like this:
1. It takes about 23 to 25 minutes to "copy" the image into the system.
2. If you click Update All it will take about 40 minutes to update the CIMC, Intel LOM, SSD and the BIOS.
3. The CIMC will reboot twice (pings to the CIMC will go down twice for about 20 minutes).
4. Another 10 minutes later and the host will power on by itself.
During the entire process, DO NOT attempt to power up the host.
Hope this helps.

thanks for the information about the duration times, but i never get so far in the boot process.

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try to reboot the CIMC via the CLI or GUI.

You can also try to power drain the server by removing the power cables for 30 seconds and trying again.

After trying to install with mounted iso after powerless the server, huu boot hangs on new ipmi found.

Now Im trying to boot from an USB Stick with HUU 402g.

- First run hangs on Loading SELinux Policy

- Reboot CIMC via SSH

- 2nd run now hangs on Mounted root filesystem /dev/mapper/live-rw 

3rd try with HUU Version 4.0.2c because C220M4 is listed as supported in release notes it hangs on SELlinux cant load policy no such file

In none of my cases the Message with the system Identifier comes and I never get into the GUI

Are there any BIOS/CIMC Settings wich should/must set to make the HUU work?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card