Views
Helpful
Replies

HX 240c M5 All flash

Mohamed.Tawfeeq
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everybody,

What's the difference of software versions between UCSM , FI , DATA Platform , HX?

I see that each one has different firmware & sometimes I see they refer to HX version as the same as DATA platform version, is that correct ? Sometimes they refer to FI firmware as the infrastructure firmware ? I'm a bit confused.

I'm configuring new HX 240c M5 All flash , I want to make sure that all are updated & compatible before I begin.

I looked to the compatibility matrix out there, but nothing out there that summarize  all up 4 versions compatibility in the  same schedule .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The HX Data platform/converged nodes/compute nodes will always be one 'Hyperflex/HX' version, there is no separate HX compute, HXDP, etc.

The UCSM infrastructure (A) components include FIs and the UCSM GUI that lives on FIs.  If you have 5108 chassis, then the IOMs are part of the infrastructure.

The UCS (B)lade and (C) Rack series firmware bundles are separate firmware bundles from the Infrastructure, but need to match each other (A, B, and C). 

For example, if you go to the HX 4.0 release notes, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/Cisco_HXDataPlatform_RN_4_0.html#id_106969

you will see HX 4.01a needs to be paired with UCSM firmware 4.02d

and HX 4.01a can be paired with ESXi 6.0U3, 6.5U2, 6.7U2

hx firmware 2.JPGhx firmware 1.JPG

It may be a little confusing as the HX versioning and the UCSM versioning have some overlapping ranges (i.e. 4.xx) even though there is no relationship in the versioning between UCSM and Hyperflex.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The HX Data platform/converged nodes/compute nodes will always be one 'Hyperflex/HX' version, there is no separate HX compute, HXDP, etc.

The UCSM infrastructure (A) components include FIs and the UCSM GUI that lives on FIs.  If you have 5108 chassis, then the IOMs are part of the infrastructure.

The UCS (B)lade and (C) Rack series firmware bundles are separate firmware bundles from the Infrastructure, but need to match each other (A, B, and C). 

For example, if you go to the HX 4.0 release notes, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/Cisco_HXDataPlatform_RN_4_0.html#id_106969

you will see HX 4.01a needs to be paired with UCSM firmware 4.02d

and HX 4.01a can be paired with ESXi 6.0U3, 6.5U2, 6.7U2

hx firmware 2.JPGhx firmware 1.JPG

It may be a little confusing as the HX versioning and the UCSM versioning have some overlapping ranges (i.e. 4.xx) even though there is no relationship in the versioning between UCSM and Hyperflex.

Kirk...

Much thanks for showing the interoperability & stretching it down.
Does that mean if I upgraded FI firmware, this way I upgraded the UCSM firmware as well ?
What's the FIrmware name format for USCM & FI for example ?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: