cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hx220c m4s node utilize its own disk?

silver64317
Level 1
Level 1

just dug out some old cisco HX220c M4S nodes in my company's lab and I'm currently evaluating the way to use it.

I'd like to know if it is possible to utilize the M4S server nodes as traditional x86 servers so that the M4S can use its own local disks(on a per-server base) in its OS.

I've heard some colleagues said that the hx220c m4s cannot be used like that. It can only be utilized under cisco hyperflex's design therefore all the M4S nodes' disks will be aggregated.

Just want to clarify this confusion in my head, thanks!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Officially, a Hyperflex server can only be used in a Hyperflex cluster.

Unofficially a Hyperflex server is a server and can be used any way you require. Doesn't matter M4/M5.

The biggest "issue" is Hyperflex servers use a disk HBA or pass-through controller which has no RAID functionality. Therefore you will likely want some software (like Hyperflex, or roll your own Linux distro with software RAID exporting a NFS share back to ESXi) to stitch together the disks into a pool/RAID otherwise ESXi would see many datastores one for each physical disk.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Officially, a Hyperflex server can only be used in a Hyperflex cluster.

Unofficially a Hyperflex server is a server and can be used any way you require. Doesn't matter M4/M5.

The biggest "issue" is Hyperflex servers use a disk HBA or pass-through controller which has no RAID functionality. Therefore you will likely want some software (like Hyperflex, or roll your own Linux distro with software RAID exporting a NFS share back to ESXi) to stitch together the disks into a pool/RAID otherwise ESXi would see many datastores one for each physical disk.

hi steven,

thanks so much for answering! that's helpful~~!

regarding to the biggest issue that you stated above, i was thinking about install ESXi on each server and let the hypervisor utilize each local disks with no RAID functions (and maybe build a VMware VSAN, which requires HBA/passthrough/RAID 0).

I believe the ESXi on m4s should be able to utilize its local disks just as what regular servers can do without problems.

btw

got a last question: does hyperflex m4s require dedicated switch?(not for IMC, i mean)

The question about VSAN is a better question for VMware, but I assume that: Yes Hyperflex servers could be used with VSAN.

VMware does have a quite strict HCL which details what servers/cards/disks/firmware/etc can be used with VSAN.

Regarding Hyperflex layout. . . Since you're asking about switches and not UCS Fabric Interconnects, I assume you are talking about Hyperflex Edge. The Hyperflex Edge deployement guide details supported upstream switch layouts. None of which have a dedicated management/IMC switch:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/Edge_Deployment_Guide/b_HyperFlex_Edge_Deployment_Guide_4_0/m_2_node_preinstall_chklist_4_0.html

well...  forgot to state the switch precisely, my apologies.

Just noticed the UCS Fabric...

I was thinking about treating m4s nodes as regular x86 server and connect them to typical switch directly.

Hope there's no restrictions on switches...

anyway, thanks for all the explanation~!

Just had a similar conversation at https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-data-center-subjects/single-c220c-hyperflex-server-used-as-a-plain-c220c-server-just/m-p/4152250 

Servers that are configured for vsan will have similar requirements (i.e minimum number of nodes), and from a multinode composite , provide a redundant shared storage datastore.

Individual servers with jbod HBAs do not make good ESXi servers for local storage, as single loss of disks will result in loss of datastores/guest VMs.  If you are just looking to spin up some testVms for lab, and non-production, then may be fine.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: