cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HyperFlex Multiple Clusters with the same HX's FI pair

1s.bancha
Level 5
Level 5

1) Can I run two HXDP clusters, for example 5-node and 4-node cluster, with the same pair of HX's FI?

2) Does anyone experience this kind of deployment? Any concern and issues?

3) Refer to the Cisco document (Guidelines for Adding Cisco HyperFlex to an Existing UCS-FI Domain) https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/TechNotes/b_Adding_HX_to_Existing_UCS-FI_Domain.html,

there is a statement notes that "Do NOT attempt to add HyperFlex to your existing UCS-FI domain on your own."

I'm not sure these are the same case of deployment.
When finish setup the first HX cluster and about to setup the second HX cluster to the same HX's FI,
do i have to open a TAC case as mentioned in the guide?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @1s.bancha ,

You certainly can add more than one HyperFlex cluster to the same pair of FIs

But adding the second cluster requires careful planning and will need to be added using the installer VM (i.e. do NOT attempt to install the second cluster form Intersight. In fact, do the first install from the Installer VM too)

Here are some of the things you need to consider:

• Are both clusters going to be managed by the same vCenter?
  • If so, are they going to share the same datacenter? (Not a big deal, you'll just need to get the naming spot on)
  • Are you planning to use the same VLAN IDs for each cluster where possible?
    • NOTE: Each cluster should have its own discrete hx-storage-data VLAN
  • In UCS Manager, each cluster is assigned an Organisation name.  Make sure you use two different Organisation names.
  • When you do the second install, click the "I know what I'm doing" option and do each part one-at-a-time.  You are likely to get warnings that you can possibly ignore. 

Once you have your planning in place, it is certainly a good idea to have a pro-active case raised with Cisco TAC before you start - in your case before you start the second install (since you've done the first one!)

Keep in mind that there are Cisco partners who offer mentored installs - a search for HX mentored install should get you started. 

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @1s.bancha ,

You certainly can add more than one HyperFlex cluster to the same pair of FIs

But adding the second cluster requires careful planning and will need to be added using the installer VM (i.e. do NOT attempt to install the second cluster form Intersight. In fact, do the first install from the Installer VM too)

Here are some of the things you need to consider:

• Are both clusters going to be managed by the same vCenter?
  • If so, are they going to share the same datacenter? (Not a big deal, you'll just need to get the naming spot on)
  • Are you planning to use the same VLAN IDs for each cluster where possible?
    • NOTE: Each cluster should have its own discrete hx-storage-data VLAN
  • In UCS Manager, each cluster is assigned an Organisation name.  Make sure you use two different Organisation names.
  • When you do the second install, click the "I know what I'm doing" option and do each part one-at-a-time.  You are likely to get warnings that you can possibly ignore. 

Once you have your planning in place, it is certainly a good idea to have a pro-active case raised with Cisco TAC before you start - in your case before you start the second install (since you've done the first one!)

Keep in mind that there are Cisco partners who offer mentored installs - a search for HX mentored install should get you started. 

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi @1s.bancha ,

That link is to a very good document overall - one of the best HX references around.

Just one thing to note. Where this document says:

• When reusing VLANs (e.g. management and guest traffic VLANs), create a new unique VLAN name for each VLAN even if it already exists in UCSM. This will ensure no disruption to other clusters and servers in that domain.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to create a new unique VLAN name for each VLAN - but you'll get warnings (that you can ignore) if you use the same VLAN names.  If it were MY design, I'd be pretty upset at having to use different names for the same VLAN.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card