Views
Helpful
Replies

Hypervisor not responding after disk swap

christian.30
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community

I have found issue wherein my hard disk state is "Moderately fault" and I've decided to RMA it . My problem now is that when the I've install the RMA HDD the state was "unconfigured good" and when I've tried to ping the Hypervisor no response at all and when i try to insert back the defective unit the hyper visor is responding again. My problem is that is there any way on re -swapping the configurations to the RMA unit?

Is there any configurations i need to check for this? 

Thank you community appreciate you all .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you confirm what RAID you are using? 0, 1, 5, 10 ?

If the replacement drive is stuck at unconfigured good, depending on your RAID configuration, you can select to "add as global hot spare" for the Virtual Drive in question and it should start rebuilding after replacement.

If you still have questions, the more details and screen caps you can provide the better.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Serena DiPenti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Christian,

Are you working with Manager or CIMC? 

Hi sdipenti

Currently im working with the CIMC

What version?

Are you trying to add this disk to a raid? 

not really, this this is the replacement unit since the other drive is degraded state

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you confirm what RAID you are using? 0, 1, 5, 10 ?

If the replacement drive is stuck at unconfigured good, depending on your RAID configuration, you can select to "add as global hot spare" for the Virtual Drive in question and it should start rebuilding after replacement.

If you still have questions, the more details and screen caps you can provide the better.

Hi Wes

The RAID of my HDD is RAID 10

You can follow these steps to make the drive a hot spare for your VD and it should begin rebuild. You may also open a TAC case for further analysis.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/usNIC/videos/C-Series/making_a_dedicated_hot_spare.html

Hi Wes

Thank you for the help, I have successfully replace the RMA unit and all disk is now online below is my steps done
1. Gathered OVF backup of all of my VM's
2. After the backup access the web bios to make the 2 drives online
3. When the 2 drives is online rebuild was successful for the RMA hard disk and hyper visor is accessible however when powering up my VM's all of them was corrupted (I'm very lucky since i have OVF backup) .

Thank you for the help :)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card