cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of Acknowledge Chassis

Sam Jones
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on understanding the impact of an acknowledge chassis process.  Documentation would be great of this process. 

Questions

Will traffic through the chassis stop?

Will I loose connection to the SAN for my VMs?

Will the blades in the chassis go through a reboot?

If so will I be able to move VM's to a different blade during that process and not experience an outage for the VM's storage?

Will both Fabric Interconnects reboot?

If so will they reboot at the same time or staggered?

How will this affect my VMware environment running on this Chassis?

Thanks for any information.

Sam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

answers inline wdey>>

wdey>> yes, for about 40+- seconds; most OS can tolerate this; however, as Steven mentions, it is best practise to take no risk and vmotion off the VM's from this chassis

wdey>> yes, see above

wdey>> no !

If so will I be able to move VM's to a different blade during that process and not experience an outage for the VM's storage?

wdey>> yes, to a different blade in another chassis

wdey>> No

The question is: when is it necessary to ack the chassis ? in my opinion only in rare cases, eg. selecting port channel between IOM and FI !

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ssumichrast
Level 1
Level 1

Acknowledging an existing working chassis will cause everything within the chassis and both IOM modules to restart. You will have no network or San traffic through the affected chassis during the acknowledge process. You should vmotion off all the blades operating in the chassis you want to acknowledge and then they won't be impacted.

I retract what I said earlier.  Acking a chassis won't reboot the blades but they will lose connectivity for 30-60 seconds.  Note that will include SAN traffic.  Plan accordingly.

answers inline wdey>>

wdey>> yes, for about 40+- seconds; most OS can tolerate this; however, as Steven mentions, it is best practise to take no risk and vmotion off the VM's from this chassis

wdey>> yes, see above

wdey>> no !

wdey>> yes, to a different blade in another chassis

wdey>> No

The question is: when is it necessary to ack the chassis ? in my opinion only in rare cases, eg. selecting port channel between IOM and FI !

Could I perform an acknowledge IOM one at a time? I look at this option in each IO Module and then acknowledge the chassis. Has anyone tried to do this? I will do the fabric interconnect migration from 6200 to 6400 family.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is OLD information. The IOMs can be acknowledged one at a time since UCSM 2.2(4) which was released 2015 July.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Infrastructure-Mgmt/3-1/b_UCSM_GUI_Infrastructure_Management_Guide_3_1/b_UCSM_GUI_Infrastructure_Management_Guide_3_1_chapter_011.html

Acknowledging an IO Module

Cisco UCS Manager Release 2.2(4) introduces the ability to acknowledge a specific IO module in a chassis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: