dinoantonucci
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one,

i have a customer with following UCS Enviroment:

2 FI 6120

2 Chassis 5108

6 B200M2

Every Chassis 5108  have 2 Fex 2104 and every 2104 has 2 link 10G (twinax cable) to every Fabric Inteconnect 6120.

If we increase number of Serverport for every chassis 5108 from 4 to 8 ( each fex will have 4 uplink), could we destroy traffic to the blade?

Is there a best procedure for this activity?

Regards

Dino

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dino,

I am not sure about what you exactly mean by destory the traffic to the blades? Are you talking about any loss of connectivity (eth and fc) to the blades for this upgrade activity? if so yes there will be. You can connect the cables between the FI and the IOM and even mark the ports are srever ports with no impact, however for you to use the new links you will have to re-acknowledge the chassis which is a disruptive process and will trigger a reboot of the blades.

As for the procedure:

1) connect the ports between the IOM and the FI,

2) mark the ports on the FI as server ports,

3) re-ack the chassis which has these new ports configured (as ai mentioned, make sure the blades on the chassis are shut down before you re-ack)

Hope this helps!

./abhinav

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dino,

I am not sure about what you exactly mean by destory the traffic to the blades? Are you talking about any loss of connectivity (eth and fc) to the blades for this upgrade activity? if so yes there will be. You can connect the cables between the FI and the IOM and even mark the ports are srever ports with no impact, however for you to use the new links you will have to re-acknowledge the chassis which is a disruptive process and will trigger a reboot of the blades.

As for the procedure:

1) connect the ports between the IOM and the FI,

2) mark the ports on the FI as server ports,

3) re-ack the chassis which has these new ports configured (as ai mentioned, make sure the blades on the chassis are shut down before you re-ack)

Hope this helps!

./abhinav

Hi abhinav,

it's right answer....i'm reading cisco documentation and it's necessary re-ack to activate new server port.

Thank you for support!

Regards.

Dino

Hello Dino,

I am sure Abhinav wrote the correct procedure,,,My 2 cents

If we increase number of Serverport for every chassis 5108 from 4 to 8 (  each fex will have 4 uplink), could we destroy traffic to the blade?

====

There will be no effect on Traffic once you add 4 more links from ur FEX to Fabric Interconnect( 2 from each FEX to FI).

But according to Chassis Discovery Policy " Your UCS Manager will not identify the new Links from FEX to FI"

UCS Manager will onlky identify once you acknowledge your chassis.Acknowldeging the Chassis means all the configuration will be re -read by UCS-M.

So basically it will be like Power Cycle your Chassis.

I hope this helps,,,Cheers,,,,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card