Views
Helpful
Replies

Initial UCS Setup: Ethernet Uplink and VSAN

nazshuk83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm beginner with UCS and had received my loan unit yesterday. I've connected all the cables and have two question:

1. My loan unit come with a Catalyst 3750X with expansion module of 10GE (C3KX-NM-10GE). I've configure the port 5 in both FI and the Catalyst TE port as trunk but UCSM detected it down (noconnect). Do I have to create a service profile first before the link went up?

2. We dont have any MDS and plan to directly connect the Netapp storage using the uplink FC port. Can we still use the VSAN features? (as per understanding the far-end port device must has NPIV support like MDS switch)

Thanks!

Rgds,

Nazri

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On the UCS Fabric Interconnect (FI) make sure the port is confiugred as an uplink port not a server port. Make sure you created all the vlans on both the 3750 and the FI. Since you have just a single port do not try to use port-channels. Other than that its a connectivity problem so troubleshoot it as you normally would. Try isolating the issue to the FI or the 3750.

You can't use VSANs if you are going to directly connect the netapp to the FI. I'm pretty sure the Netapp does not understand VSAN tagging. You'll need an MDS or N5K if you want something more complex.

mfrase
Level 1
Level 1

For Ethernet Port Channels you also need to use LACP, active on upstream switch(3750)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card