cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inserting/using a RAID controller Plug-In PCIe Card in a UCS C220 M3, instead of the embeded RAID controller?

Rodrigo Moreno
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!!

We have a UCS C220 M3 server, with a 1 TB SAS HD and an embeded RAID controller, like this:

UCS-HDD1TI2F212

1TB   SAS 7.2K RPM 3.5 inch HDD/hot plug/drive sled mounted

UCSC-RAID-ROM15

Embedded   SW RAID 0/1/10/5, 4 ports SAS/SATA

If I add this RAID PCI card controller to my UCS server:

UCS-RAID-9266CV=

MegaRAID   9266CV-8i w/TFM + Super Cap

USD   1,686.00

Will it work with it, ignoring the former embeded RAID It has configured?

The issue is that WMWARE is not supported my RAID embeded controllers, so I'd like to add an external RAID PCI controller for supporting VMWARE.

I'm not sure if it's gonna work.

Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David McFarland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rodrigo,

The embeded controller is built-in and not removable, it is built into every C220/C240. The units are designed to work with PCIe and mezzanine array controllers when properly configured.

Once you install the PCIs controller, you'll need to do the following:

1) Move the mini-SAS conectors from the Motherboard to the PCIe LSI controller

2) Ensure the PCIe slot OptionROM is enabled in BIOS. (recent systems have their OptionROM disabled in unpopulated slots (from the factory). If you don't see the OptionROM during POST, then go back into BIOS and enable the PCIe slot OptionROM

3) While you are in BIOS, you might as well disable the Patsburg SCU array controller (The embeded array controller). It is of no use at this point as you've removed it's cables going to the HDD bay. It also causes confusion if you leave it enabled, as you'll see the LSI array configuration utility appear twice during POST. Once for the embeded and again for the PCIe LSI controller.

Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David McFarland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rodrigo,

The embeded controller is built-in and not removable, it is built into every C220/C240. The units are designed to work with PCIe and mezzanine array controllers when properly configured.

Once you install the PCIs controller, you'll need to do the following:

1) Move the mini-SAS conectors from the Motherboard to the PCIe LSI controller

2) Ensure the PCIe slot OptionROM is enabled in BIOS. (recent systems have their OptionROM disabled in unpopulated slots (from the factory). If you don't see the OptionROM during POST, then go back into BIOS and enable the PCIe slot OptionROM

3) While you are in BIOS, you might as well disable the Patsburg SCU array controller (The embeded array controller). It is of no use at this point as you've removed it's cables going to the HDD bay. It also causes confusion if you leave it enabled, as you'll see the LSI array configuration utility appear twice during POST. Once for the embeded and again for the PCIe LSI controller.

Dave

Very useful, thanks!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card