cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Install VMware VMVisor 6.0 on UCS C22 M3

Jmelgar56
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UCS C22 M3 that had VMware VMvisor 5.5, I tried upgrade and it didn't work. Also restored the CIMC, BIOS to default configuration. I cannot see the Embedded MegaRAID. Then I upgrade the UCS with the ucs-c2x-huu-2.0.9l.iso. Neither it works. Now I don't know to do. 

7 Replies 7

Clifford Aldan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

According to the C22 M3 Spec Sheet, ESXi is not supported to install on a virtual drive created by the Embedded MegaRAID controller

"NOTE: VMware ESX/ESXi or any other virtualized environments are not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller. Hypervisors such as Hyper-V, Xen, or KVM are also not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller"

"NOTE: Embedded RAID is not available with VMWare."

Did you C22 M3 come with a PCIe RAID controller? If so, you can install ESXi on a virtual drive created from that

Solely, 

Cliff Aldan

Thanks for reply. Cliff, I haven't PCIe RAID Controller only the Embedded, but I don't explain me how work it with the VMware 5.5? I have in the PCIe 2 a Module with 4 GbE by more interfaces. And the PCIe 1 is empty. Maybe I can install VyOS in the UCS? Because I need to use it how a router with capacity the 3 GbE input and 3 GbE output. Thanks for your help. 

VMware isn't supported on the Embedded RAID controller according to the spec sheet

It is supported on PCIe RAID controllers that are supported for the C22 M3

The supported OSes on the Embedded RAID controller are Windows, RedHat and Suse Linux according to the Hardware and Software Interoperability for Standalone C-Series Servers

Once again thanks for your answer dear Clifford. I am sorry for reply later, I tried to install Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, but. I didn't see the disk, I tried to use the drives for the Windows (ucs-cxxx-drivers-windows.2.0.9d.iso). It didn't work. And I found it that the storage controller aren't presents. How I solve this?  

Greetings.

Make sure you are using the latest UCS C series Drivers for Windows during Windows install.

I believe one of the later HUU firmware updates for the onboard controller, requires a very recent driver in order function correctly.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Dear Kirk J:

I upgrated the UCS with ucs-c2x-huu-2.0.9l.iso.
And I have the drive for windows: ucs-cxxx-drivers-windows.2.0.9d.iso

Thanks for you reply..!!

Greetings.

Confirming that you have already created a VD via the MegaraidSR option rom time utility (Cntrl + M) during post. See http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html#69893

Thanks,

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card