Views
Helpful
Replies

Intel X550T2 not shown as VMNIC0 and 1

j-lehmann
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,
I'm actually from the Collaboration site. Now I have  to install two new C220M5SX without VMWare. First I installed the latest BIOS version 4.0.4c via Host Upgrade utility. Here all the NIC drivers were updated. After that I took the current custom VMWare from Cisco Mware_ESXi_6.5.0_10719125_Custom_Cisco_6.5.2.3.iso.
Unfortunately VMWare does not recognize the X550T2 on 2 machines.
According to the UCS Hardware and Software Compatibility page all drivers are correct.
The BIOS recognizes the X550T2, also shows me that a Cabel is connected here. But under VMWare I cannot use the ports. With the command esxcfg-nics -l there are no VMNIC0 and 1. I think the second command is more hardware related, and here we see the vmnic0 and 1.

pic1.png

VMWare have the correct drivers.pic2.png

Any suggestion how to fix the problem?

Best regards

Jörg

6 Replies 6

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may want to re-run the HUU and see if it will let you re-apply the Intel firmware, even if it appears to be the same version.

We saw some issues a while back with firmware on the x540s that had a very similar issue (vmware didn't see the ports as active) and didn't assign vmnic number.

Also, check the optionROM area under the CIMC, advanced BIOS settings.  It is possible to disable the NICs, and you may want to confirm they aren't actually disabled.

Kirk...

Hello, I rerun the HUU, but they skip the upgrade, it is the same FW.

I can confirm that under the BIOS the LOM Ports 1 ans 2  are enable.

I go now to disable the NICs boot the server, enable again and restart the server.

Best regards

Jörg

I run again the HUU and if I tick only the X550T2 a was able to upgrade the FW again. But no luck, I can not see the VMNIC0 and VMNIC1 under VMWAre.

As you can see here , the LOMs are enable under BIOS, I think I have to open a case.

pic1.jpg

I install Cisco Custom Image 6.0U3 and here it works.

For now we will stay on this version. No time to troubleshoot 6.5U2.

Best regards

Jörg

oh, that's interesting....

Something is up with the driver in use in 6.5u2...

Well, glad you have discovered a work around for now.

Kirk...

I check the drivers and 6.0 use the same driver as 6.5.
Best regards
Jörg
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card