Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface assignments for VMware on C240M3

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how interfaces are assigned in VMware running on C240M3 with additional PCIe cards? We have a bundle UCUCS-EZ-C240M3S which has built-in 4x1Ge ports, but it also has two additional 4x1Ge Intel cards installed. We will be configuring it soon, but I have to plan interface naming and cabling. Since the equipment is already installed at customer's premisses I am unable to check it. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Krzysztof

6 Replies 6

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

One way to determine how vmware recognizes the network adapters install in the server is this:

First, log into the CIMC of the c240 server, after you logged in go to the "Summary" tab and under it select "inventory" on the right select the "network" tab to see all of the networking adapters installed on your server including their slots and mac addresses of the ports. Write down the macs the first mac of each cards starts on the first port starting on the left.

Second, once you have the macs SSH into the ESXI host and type the command below esxcfg-nics -l This command will give you an association of the mac address and the vmnic in vmware. If you don't have SSH access you can log into vSphere, go to the configuration tab of the host and select network adapters please let me know if this helps

Hi

Added an example screenshot so you can see what I mean.  Also you want to click on the server tab not the summary tab in fact there is not a summary tab :)

Hi,

You misunderstood my question :-) If I had an access to those servers I could find it out. However, the equipment is already installed in remote racks, and it awaits cabling. I have to prepare a diagram with interface names and cables attached to it. So, my question was, what was the order the interfaces are discovered by VMware if there are onboard NICs and PCIe NICs. Does counting start from onboard interfaces left to right or from PCIe cards starting from top or maybe bottom slots?

Cheers,

Krzysztof

Okay,

I talked to one of my colleagues that used to work from vmware and it looks like the order will be Onboard nics, PCI1, PCI2, PCI3.....   

Let me know if this helps.   

Hi,

Thanks for the hint, but I have to be sure, and "looks like" is not enough :-) We have to cable 72 Ge ports (6 servers, 12 ports each) and assign names to them, as well as prepare Nexus configs to be applied by another team. I have to be 100% sure how NICs are discovered, and it would be nice if someone could confirm that from the running environment.

Cheers,

Krzysztof

Try the VMware forums as this is a question should be for the OS vendor.   They will be able to give you a confirmation.

Even with this confirmation it would be better if you can get at least one server up with the OS installed and CIMC configured to verify the nic numbering on the OS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card