cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to disable raid for c220-m4 server with a cisco 12g SAS raid controller?

LeeJL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Could anyone here please help clarify if I can configure either BIOS or Cisco 12G SAS Raid bios to disable raid?   I am having a Cisco C220 M4 server with a Cisco 12G SAS raid controller.  I physically removed all hard drives except the one in Bay 1. From the BIOS, PCH SAT Mode is set to AHCI. 

The goal is to use hard drive without raid.

If it is impossible to do it through bios,  is it possible to connect hard drive to the mother board without going through the raid controller? 

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Lee

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can set the PCI-E slot to speed 'disabled'.

Most of the Raid controllers support jbod mode for the disks as well.

If the harddrive backplane is connected to the raid controller then you will need to use the jbod option.

If you have appropriate cabling and choose to connect to the PCH/embedded controller, then you can disable the raid controller, or remove it.

Kirk...

Kirk, 

Thank you very much for your response.

Could you please give more details about your answer?

1. set the PCI-E slot to speed 'disabled'.  --- how to do it?

2. If the hard drive backplane is connected to the raid controller then you will need to use the jbod option. 

We do have the hard drive connected to the raid controller, and tried to use jbod, but with no luck. 

Could you please specify how to do it correctly? Thanks. 

3.  If you have appropriate cabling and choose to connect to the PCH/embedded controller, then you can disable the raid controller, or remove it.   

If previous step doesn't work, we would like to try this as well. 

In order to disable the raid controller, it should be done through BIOS->LOM and PCIe SLots configuration->PCH SATA MODE --> set to Disabled.  

Please let me know if it is correct. 

Thank you very much for helping out!

Lee

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card