cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iSCSI boot from Pure Storage Array (ESXi and Windows)

I'm on a team building an iSCSI boot solution for a UCS B-Series server, using a Pure Storage Array to boot both ESXi and Windows.  The UCS servers are connected to an ACI fabric and the servers can reach the Pure Array.

The ESXi boot lun (1) is seen by the ESXi hosts, but the host fails to boot from the LUN.  I suspect it's a configuration issue on the Pure Array because the ESXi host sees the boot lun but fails the boot process.

Any recommendations regarding where I might look to find hints as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Scott

2 Replies 2

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CIsco CVDs are a great resource to review to help determine when one-little-step-was-missed:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/flashstack_vsi_iscsi_vm67_u1.html#_Toc16591945

Beyond that I'd first check MTU.

Are you using Jumbo MTU?

MTU on UCS side is based on packet CoS marking and ACI removes CoS markings by default (*frown*).

So to compensate for this asymmetric (broken) QoS you could make UCS QoS Best Effort Jumbo.

Thanks for taking time to reply Steven.

We are using Jumbo frames on both the UCS and ACI fabrics.  I'll review the configuration again for Jumbo Frames on both the UCS and ACI fabric.

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card