Views
Helpful
Replies

iSCSI Boot Target IP Question

ihadfield
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Setting up iSCSI boot for the first time and had a question.

Setup:  UCS blades connected to a N5K pair (vPC) with a dual-controller NetApp connected.  There are 4 UCS vNICs - two for just iSCSI (as the native VLAN) and two for everything else.

The odd blades are booting from LUNs on NetApp controller A and the even blades are booting from LUNs on NetApp controller B.

So my question.  When I make the iSCSI targets for an odd blade (for example), do I have both A and B "NIC"s point to controller A's IP?  Or does NIC-A point to controller A's IP and NIC-B point to controller B's IP?  I was not sure as, in this example, controller A would own the LUN that this odd blade is booting from.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ian

You can add up to two iSCSI vNICs per boot policy. One vNIC acts as the primary iSCSI boot source, and the other acts as the secondary iSCSI boot source.

"does NIC-A point to controller A's IP and NIC-B point to controller B's IP"     YES

You would create another boot policy, for the even blades, with primary / secondary order swapped.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ian

You can add up to two iSCSI vNICs per boot policy. One vNIC acts as the primary iSCSI boot source, and the other acts as the secondary iSCSI boot source.

"does NIC-A point to controller A's IP and NIC-B point to controller B's IP"     YES

You would create another boot policy, for the even blades, with primary / secondary order swapped.

Great, thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: