Views
Helpful
Replies

Keep data on disks after re-associating a service profile

itm.i11.team
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Russ already stated in this discussion that applying a new storage profile to a server means destroying any content on the disks.
But I am still wondering if there is no way to keep the data on a disk?

I recently changed the ID of a Rack Server (Decommission Server and Re-Commission with new ID). The server had still an associated service profile but lost the association during the Re-Commission process. Therefore I had to dis- and re-associate the service profile once again. At that point UCSM stated that there would be an error with build the LUNs I have configured via my storage profile.

In the end I did not manage to save the data on the disk. So is it possible to tell UCS to not touch the disk layout and the data when associating a service profile? If it does not work with storage profiles are there other ways to preserve the data?

Regards

Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you want to stick with storage profiles, you could create a storage profile with only "prepare claim local lun".

Kirk...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A local disk policy of 'any config' will not try to modify an existing disk/raid config, but will just attempt to scan and import what is already there.

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk, so I can combine the local disk policy with a storage profile?

At the moment the server has only a storage profile policy attached configuring all the disks with different raid levels.

If you want to stick with storage profiles, you could create a storage profile with only "prepare claim local lun".

Kirk...

Did not know this option but I will try. Thanks Kirk!

I noticed that the disks in our new C220 M5 servers are set to JBOD. To use our initial storage profiles we need them to be set "unconfigured good".I know you can clear all disks at once by doing a "factory reset" on the server but maybe there is a more handy way?

When you are creating a 'disk group policy' there is an option called 'use jbod disks'

When a service profile/storage profile is applied to a server that has jbod mode disks, those will be auto converted to configured good, then added to the raid/disk group.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: