cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Connectivity Policy modify - any interruption expected?

Moltron83
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -  Probably a pretty easy question here - I'm pretty green when it comes to managing our FI, and my question is on network interruptions and outages when it comes to modifying a network policy.  All I need to do is assign an additional VLAN to a vNIC.  Our FI controls 4 standalone C240 servers.  Those servers are all assigned an updating type service profile template.  Within that template is a LAN Connectivity Policy assigned.  I'd like to simply modify this LAN connectivity policy and add an already defined VLAN to the vNIC for fabric a/b.  These 4 servers are ESXi servers running vSAN amongst each other.  The vSAN traffic vNICs are part of the overall policy I'd be modifying, but they are on separate vNICs that I would not be modifying.

Without having made a change here ever before, I'm not sure what to expect.  I've seen in a few other posts, some talk about reboots, but then others have said there should be no reboots when making these changes.  Would there be an interruption in traffic at all?  Would this change apply to all 4 servers at once?  I mostly care about the network traffic for the vSAN - I don't want that to have an interruption.  Can someone answer these questions and elaborate on what to expect when making this change.

Your input in much appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adding a VLAN to a vNIC template will not cause a reboot or prompt to reboot, unless there are some other underlying change that requires reboot. (Like boot order change, BIOS policy change, etc). As long as your maintenance policy is set to User-Ack, there would be an acknowledgement required before reboot.

There should be no interruption adding the VLAN and yes the change would be propagated to all servers at once. As always, we recommend making any changes during scheduled maintenance windows or off hours if still hesitant to proceed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adding a VLAN to a vNIC template will not cause a reboot or prompt to reboot, unless there are some other underlying change that requires reboot. (Like boot order change, BIOS policy change, etc). As long as your maintenance policy is set to User-Ack, there would be an acknowledgement required before reboot.

There should be no interruption adding the VLAN and yes the change would be propagated to all servers at once. As always, we recommend making any changes during scheduled maintenance windows or off hours if still hesitant to proceed.

Thanks Wes.  I went and checked to make sure the maintenance policy was set to User-Ack.  I applied the LAN connectivity policy with no trouble.  Applied almost instantly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card