cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing UCS Central 1.1(1a)

Reynolds1973
Level 1
Level 1

Having an issue getting UCS Central licensed for the 5 initial domains.  Following documentation; I go out to license portal but there is no field for a GUID.

I've clicked on just about every link with in the portal but have found nowhere to enter the UCS Central GUID.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Documentation says:

Step 1 On the menu bar, click Operations Management.

Step 2 In the Navigation pane, click License Management.

Step 3 In the Work pane, select the General tab.

Step 4 Under the UCS Central Details, click GUID to copy the GUID of the Cisco UCS domain to the clipboard.

Step 5 Click Cisco SWIFT to open the License Administration Portal.

Step 6 Login to the License Administration Portal, and enter the GUID and your email address.

Cisco sends you the license file by email. The license file is digitally signed to authorize use on only the specified Cisco

UCS domain.

Step 1 On the menu bar, click Operations Management.

Step 2 In the Navigation pane, click License Management.

Step 3 In the Work pane, select the General tab.

Step 4 Under the UCS Central Details, click GUID to copy the GUID of the Cisco UCS domain to the clipboard.

Step 5 Click Cisco SWIFT to open the License Administration Portal.

Step 6 Login to the License Administration Portal, and enter the GUID and your email address.

Cisco sends you the license file by email. The license file is digitally signed to authorize use on only the specified Cisco

UCS domain.

28 Replies 28

Hi wdey,

I will try to answer these questions in this way. Basically, the first 5 domains are licensed as a L-UCS-CTR-INI= and are a $0 item. Any domains above and beyond the intial 5, are licensed using the following Part ID: L-UCS-CTR-LIC=.

Both of these have support options available, which are highly suggested for production environments. However, it is not a requirement.

The Swift tool does apply for UCS Central 1.1(1a).

I hope that this helps.

Thanks.

-Bruce

Bruce,

I too have the same issue.  How do you go get the first 5 domains properly licensed for UCS Central  Everyone talks about using L-UCS-CTR-INI= but nobody explains what you need to do with it.

I did open a TAC case with licensing (628055259) and after a month of going back and forth, I got nowhere.

I no longer want to see the "...grace period...." messages.  I want resolution too.

Thank you,

Jim Stehlik

james.stehlik@advocatehealth.com

Hi James,

Well, first off, have a look at the following document and see if that helps. If it does not answer you questions, circle back and I will see what I can do to assist.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/users-manual/1-1/b_CiscoUCSCentral-Software-UsersManual-Release1-1_chapter_011.html#topic_FDF4D747777849308EFBD9E442183FF0

Thanks.

-Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I have gone through that document several times.

I have been in contact with Brad T. (a fellow associate of yours) and I guess the confusion came about trying to follow the standard ordering process. Since we use a 3rd party Vendor, it wasn’t clear that I had to go that route. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue. If need be, I will add to the post.

Thank you again,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I figured that you probably had seen that document but I wanted to be sure that we were on the same page(no pun intended). I hope that you have found a resolution.

If not please feel free to add to the thread and we will figure it out.

Thanks.

-Bruce

Bruce,

Good news.  Finally got the license issue resolved.  It got overly complicated because we use a 3rd party to handle ordering our Cisco products.  But I still have an issue.  I've inserted an screen shot below:

I would have guessed that this acknowledged error would have gone away once the domains got licensed, which they are now.

So, the question is how to get this error removed since it technically has been corrected?

Thank you,

Jim

Hi James,

I am glad to hear that the licensing issue has been resolved. How long has it been since you installed the licenses? Sometimes, it can take a while for an error to clear. In the meantime, I will look into this to see if there are any known issues.

Thanks.

-Bruce

Hi Jim

My customer is having the same issue. After installing the license he still sees the annoying error messages on the UCS system saying that the UCS domain is registered with UCS Central running in the grace period. How did you get rid of this old and "faulty" message?

My customer acknowledged the fault days ago but the warning is still there.

I'm not sure if deregistering and re-registering would help. But I don't want to do that if not really necessary.

Best regards

dani

Hello Daniel,

To obtain a license (5 domains are for free) you have to order the product L-UCS-CTR-INI= at Cisco (this is free of charge). After ordering the product you will receive a PAK, with which you can generate a license file together with the GUID shown within UCS Central (see screenshot).

After you have downloaded the license file to your UCS Central appliance, you can install it.

You should now see no more faults.

BR Stephan

Hi Stephan

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know. We already installed the license on the UCS Central

The problem is the alarm on the UCS Domain Manager which persists. The UCS Manager still complains that he is registered with a UCS Central system running a grace period. We acknowledged the fault days ago but without success.

regards

dani

I had this exact issue, all was fine except the alerts would not go away.  I restarted UCS Central and the errors cleared within 5 minutes.

Hi Philip

Thanks for the tip.

I will give it a try yesterday.

Best regards, dani

A reload of the UCS Central System solved the issue. regards, dani

ryangoemans
Level 1
Level 1

Rebooting UCS Central VM cleared up my UCS Domains alerting about running on temp licenses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card