Views
Helpful
Replies

Limitation of UCSM integrated C-Series Server

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just stepped over some limitations of UCSM integrated C-Series Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/raid/configuration/guide/Cisco_UCSM.html#wp1068282

Maximum of One RAID Volume and One RAID Controller in Integrated Rack-Mount Servers

A rack-mount server that has been integrated with Cisco UCS Manager can have a maximum of one RAID volume irrespective of how many hard drives are present on the server.

All the local hard drives in an integrated rack-mount server must be connected to only one RAID controller. Integration with Cisco UCS Manager does not support the connection of local hard drives to multiple RAID controllers in a single rack-mount server. We therefore recommend that you request a single RAID controller configuration when you order rack-mount servers to be integrated with Cisco UCS Manager.

In addition, do not use third-party tools to create multiple RAID LUNs on rack-mount servers. Cisco UCS Manager does not support that configuration.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smcquerr
Level 4
Level 4

Wdey,

The following comment in the documentation is legacy  from an early error of UCSM when the local disk policy was not well  understood.

"In addition, do not use third-party tools  to create multiple RAID LUNs  on rack-mount servers. Cisco UCS Manager  does not support that  configuration"

It was added so  users would not use WebBIOS and then put a policy on the server that  would overwrite as Manuel mentions.   We will be removing that from the  documentation.

The Cisco Supported method for creating multiple RAID volumes on an integrated C-Series server are as Manuel Describes.  Use WebBIOS to create the disk volumes and create a local disk policy of "any configuration".  It is also recommended that all drive policies on your system be configured with protect configuration to prevent them from overwriting an existing configuration, unless that is the action you want the policy to perform.

Steve McQuerry

UCS - Technical Marketing

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hi wdey,

You had any question about that information or you wanted to inform others?

If you wanted to inform, I think you should be able to create a document from the right side of the home panel, under "Actions"

-Kenny

Yes and ask if someone has experience, using tools like LSI Webios, to bypass UCSM (setting SP to any configuration policy)

wdey,

I have used WebBIOS to configure RAID arrays in C series sure, but if the rack server is integrated with UCSM the server begins to be treated as a regular blade server and the RAID is better to be configured through the Service Profile like other blades in regular 5108 chassis.

I have not tried to bypass UCSM with WebBIOS so I am not sure about the behavior of the array once the server is integrated.

My 2 cents, maybe another colleague can give you more feedback, if they have tried this before.

-Kenny

Hi Wdey,

Bypassing UCSM with the WebBIOS should work. I tried this on my lab before and I seeing this configuration with other UCS users.  Like you already said it, with a SP you can only do a single raid configuration, but if you configured this via the webbios utility you should be able to configure multiple volumes.  I also believe this is a supported configuration.

When you make this configuration changes make sure you set your service profile to "any configuration" so this doesn't get overwritten by the SP

smcquerr
Level 4
Level 4

Wdey,

The following comment in the documentation is legacy  from an early error of UCSM when the local disk policy was not well  understood.

"In addition, do not use third-party tools  to create multiple RAID LUNs  on rack-mount servers. Cisco UCS Manager  does not support that  configuration"

It was added so  users would not use WebBIOS and then put a policy on the server that  would overwrite as Manuel mentions.   We will be removing that from the  documentation.

The Cisco Supported method for creating multiple RAID volumes on an integrated C-Series server are as Manuel Describes.  Use WebBIOS to create the disk volumes and create a local disk policy of "any configuration".  It is also recommended that all drive policies on your system be configured with protect configuration to prevent them from overwriting an existing configuration, unless that is the action you want the policy to perform.

Steve McQuerry

UCS - Technical Marketing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: