cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local Hard Disk Issue when installing ESXi 6.0

blueangel5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello , i would like to ask about the problem i encountered when installing the ESXi on my CISCO Blade UCS B200 M4. I have 2 local hard drive installed and in the Local Storage Profile options i selected Raid 1+0 . I did not touch the LUN Configuration there i just make it default.

And after that making the storage profile:

I Associate that profile to my server 2/1

When i boot up the Blade Server and tried to install the ESXi i got this error

11 Replies 11

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Were you using the Cisco customized image ESXi installer ISO when you got this error?

Thanks,

Kirk

I used also the custom image for cisco Esxi. still receiving the same error. and also i noticed that there is 0 virtual drives handled by bios. only i see the 1 virtual drive present on virtual host adapter. should it cause this problem?

Hello,

I'm curious to know if you solved this issue. I have a similar problem where I have three LUNs defined, but only two are handled by the BIOS.

Cheers,

Ham

Do you have a use case for the storage profile? You could create a RAID 1 in Local Disk Configuration on the service profile and install accordingly.

Do you have 4K sector drives?

Hi Wes,

My use case is SvSAN on a S3260.

I have two SSD drives mirrored and split into two LUNs - 100GB=boot and 350GB=cache. ESXi 6.5 sees both of these perfectly.

I also have a 60TB RAID6 LUN created from 13+1 HDDs that looks OK in the Service Profile and registers correctly as a virtual drive, but ESXi doesn't see it. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ham

Hello,

I am not a S3260 expert, but reviewing the spec sheet, I see a lot of SSD/HDD mentions 4Kn and 512e drives.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-s-series-storage-servers/s3260-specsheet.pdf

Looks like those are not designed for VMware: 

FAQ: Support statement for 512e and 4K Native drives for VMware vSphere and vSAN

Might want to check if you are using those drives?

The VMkernel log says "Unsupported sector size:4096".

Looks like they are in fact 4K sector size.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240M4/install/C240M4/replace.html

4K Sector Format Drives Considerations

Thanks Wes.

The drives are UCSC-C3X60-HD6TB, which do indeed have 4K sectors.

Cheers,
Ham

Just an update for the post, VMware starting 6.7 now support 4Kn drives

jim_atkinson
Level 1
Level 1

Can you provide info on what type of RAID Controller inventory you have on the blade in question? Physical or Soft?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card