cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management IP Address inquiry in UCS

russ.givens
Level 1
Level 1

We are starting to grow our UCS environment.  Due to that we are using more and more IP's in the pool we set aside for Management IP addresses.  Presently, our fabric interconnects reside in the same subnet (class C) as the pool we are using for Management IP's.  It looks as though each blade uses two IP's out of the Management Pool so we are exhausting the IP's that we set aside pretty quickly.  When I went to setup the UCS environment initially I went to use a subnet for the Management Pool that was different than the subnet being used for the fabric interconnects.  Unfortuantely, I was unable to connect to the KVM functionality with the Management Pool in a different subnet that the fabric interconnects.  When I changed the Management Pool IP's to the same subnet as the fabric interconnects the issue went away.  So I take it that the KVM functionality comes through the management interfaces of the fabric interconnects.

My question is how do I provide a different subnet for my Management Pool.  I will run out of IP's in this one subnet eventually and will have to add another one in that is different from what the fabric interconnects are using.  Do I have to set the ports that the fabric interconnect management interfaces are plugged into for vlan tagging and then change the network configuration of the fabric interconnects?

2 Replies 2

kedevara
Level 1
Level 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Russ,

In the current version (up to 2.1) the Management IPs for blades are required to belong to the same subnet as the Management Interfaces of the Fabric Interconnects.  This is due to the way we proxy the KVM request from Management Interfaces to the Blades CIMC.  In a future release we're investigating breaking the blade IPs into their own subnet/VLAN but this is a ways out - no committed date at this time.

We understand this puts quite a requirment on the size of the Management Subnet, but with proper design it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card