cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management software for VIC [M81KR] card "Cisco VIC Ethernet Interface" - Win 2k8R2

chris.lakey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring a blade presently that has a VIC (M81KR) card installed.

In the UCS profile, I configured 4 vNICS

- 2 vNICS for Public (One on Fabric A, one on Fabric B)

- 2 vNICS for Private (One on Fabric A, one on Fabric B)

I have installed the OS (Win Server 2008 R2) and the Ethernet Drivers (Cisco Ethernet Driver).

What I want to be able to do is to bond/team the links together and tag VLAN traffic.

-- I've downloaded the Utility ISO from Cisco, however there is no management software for the VIC (That I can see). There is only software for:

+ Broadcomm, QLogic & Emulex..

Any assistance is appreciated!

Cheers, Chris.

4 Replies 4

simon.geary
Level 1
Level 1

There is no Cisco teaming application you install in the OS, what you should do is enable Fabric Failover for each Static vNIC in UCS Manager and this will accomplish much the same thing, giving you high availability over both Fabric Interconnects.

VLAN tagging is also accomplished in UCS Manager at the Static vNIC level. Once VLANs are defined on the LAN tab they become available to be used in Service Profiles. Simply put a tick next to the VLAN you want to be trunked on that NIC and any traffic you want to be untagged mark this as the native VLAN.

Just to add to Simon's comments, we rely on fabric failover rather than a teaming driver.  This take the load off the host and puts it on the adaptor hardware. 

The only other use case I've heard of for the teaming is in full width blades such as the B250 & B440, where customers may want to team across the two adaptors for great redudancy.  As the MTBF for the adaptors is extremely high, this wasn't seen as a priority/concern.  If you have another business or technical requirement that FF will not solve, please let me know so I can feed this back to our development team.

As for the VLAN driver, at present you need to configure unique NICs for each VLAN.  I've pushed on this request for some time and I'm told it has been planned for a future release.  I'll check to verify which release the Palo VLAN tagging driver (for windows) is tentatlively planned for and get back to you.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

I am working with a customer running B250 M2 blades that they want to install HyperV on.  They will need to be able to team vNICs between two PALO cards to a single Microsoft Virtual Switch.  What is the status of a teaming driver for the M81KR?  Is there a solution for this yet?

Regards,

Mark

Teaming driver has just been released.  Please see https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2135214

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card