Helpful
Replies

MDS 9124 Fan module replacement

Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Good day All

I have a quick question has anyone had to replace a Fan module on a MDS 9124

switch before? I've tried to look up documentation on doing this but unable to find any.  Also does anyone know if it is hot swap-able? I am showing 2 Fans dead

Fan:
------------------------------------------------------
Fan Model Hw Status
------------------------------------------------------
ChassisFan1 FAN Module 1 -- Failure
ChassisFan2 FAN Module 2 -- Failure
ChassisFan3 FAN Module 3 -- Ok

Software

BIOS:      version 1.0.19

loader:    version N/A

kickstart: version 5.0(7)

system:    version 5.0(7)

Thank you in advance!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/hw/9100series/installation/guide/9100HIG.pdf

Page 58

Removing and Installing Fan Modules
This section provides instructions for removing and installing the fan modules for the Cisco MDS 9140
Switch and the Cisco MDS 9120 Switch. The Cisco MDS 9124 Switch does not have field-replaceable
fan modules.

You will need to open a case with TAC if you have a support contract.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/hw/9100series/installation/guide/9100HIG.pdf

Page 58

Removing and Installing Fan Modules
This section provides instructions for removing and installing the fan modules for the Cisco MDS 9140
Switch and the Cisco MDS 9120 Switch. The Cisco MDS 9124 Switch does not have field-replaceable
fan modules.

You will need to open a case with TAC if you have a support contract.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi Kirk

Thank you for your help probably I guess I will have to open a tac case then

thank you agian!!!  Have a Happy and safe 4th!!!

Hello Warren, I have the same problem but in my case a cannot open a Service Request with the tac because it says that the MDS9124 is not covered.

I would like to know if you had to replace the switch or if it is possible to buy the fan and replace it.

Regards

Hi Marvin

Yes you cannot just replace the fan module you have to replace the whole switch and once you get the new switch you have to transfer over the licences from the old MDS to the new one.  Also you are correct we can no longer open up a service request for this the MDS 9124 has reached End of Life..  So you either have to find another one somewhere or get the newer vision like the MDS 9148

Thank you Warren, Have a good day!

Regards

Your welcome...if budget allows I would just get the 9148 that way if you need any help in the future

you can always get help form TAC.  

Good Luck!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: