Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from VMware vSS to vDS on UCS

JohnFarmer02644
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

we currently have 4 clusters withing vCenter on a single 5108 chassis. Each cluster has different hosts such as M3, M4, M5 (Hosts within clusters are all the same generation)

All hosts currently have VMware Standard Switching Configured. 

We want to migrate all networking from VSS to Distributed Switching. 

1. Will any changes be required within UCS Manager? 
    1. I believe this will all be completed from vCenter, so create new vDS then migrate one interface, then the VM's and finally the other interface(s)
  2. to complete this, is this all driven from the vCenter server, or have i missed something?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

So as long as you won't go through any situations requiring EVC related settings(cross cluster movement of guests),,, and have a couple of vnics/VMNICs (i.e. 1 on a, 1 on b side), then this is just a dVS creation, uplink, and guestVM migration as you have mentioned.

No change at UCSM level would be expected.

Kirk...

Thanks for the details. so what’s the typical deployment in terms of vDS on UCS? Is it one vDS for all VMware clusters?or is it potentially one vDS per cluster? So with this scenario there are 5 vSphere clusters of different Gen hosts, M3-M5 So could there be a VDS with its own uplinks per cluster?

So there will be 2x Fabric extenders per chassis and I believe there are 4x10gb interfaces per extender which totals 8x10gb that will be presented through to the hosts and center for adding to vDS? 

is that correct? If so then that means there is 1:1 mapping between physical FE interfaces and virtual uplinks? Or is it different to that?

thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card