Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate Operating System

fr.mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have to migrate our vmware (B200M3) to a new NetApp Storage. Currently, we boot our hosts from SAN. All LUNs are in one volume. Therefor, we are not able to migrate the volume from netapp a to netapp b.

If we do so, i have to shutdown all hosts at one computing center. But i did not have enough computing power for running all my vms in the other computing center.

My intention is to install a fresh esxi version one by one and import the settings. But therefor, i have to create a new boot policy and assign them to my hosts, so that i can install the hosts one by one. Is that the right approach?

Maybe there is someone out who has done this before. 

If i change the boot policy in my template, it will be provided only to my hosts if i accept the changes right? Not if i reboot the host without accepting it?

We are using version 3.2(3I)B

Any help will be appreciated.

Frank

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

I believe you need to distinguish between the options in the Maintenance Policies.

Sounds like you are wanting the generic "User Ack" without the "On Next Boot" flag.

maint policy.JPG

User ack by itself, won't apply the changes without you expressly going into the 'pending' acknowledgement area, and 'acknowledging' each blade/server.

Kirk...

Hello Kirk,

yes, thats how it looks in our environment. 

Thanks

Frank

Hi Kirk,

i have read this blog post.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-computing-system/modify-boot-policy-how-to/td-p/3051844 

Is that still true? 

Or do i have to ack the changes?

Thanks

Frank

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card