Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from HP C7000 to Cisco UCS

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the best way to migrate servers currently on HP chassis equpment to a brand new Cisco UCS chassis? Is there for instance a a HP tool to migrate over to a boot lun? Then we can boot the same servers up on Cisco UCS?

Or do we have to reinstall all the servers and restore backups in a maintenance window?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

physical server = e.g. ESXi ? you have to install this in your UCS blades ? same would apply for Windows and/or Linux ? I don't see any other solution ?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Atle

Don't know which OS you have ? OS installed on local disks ?

Lets assume this is a VMware ESXi installation (Hyper-V would work essentially very similar).

You would setup UCS domain; connect to the common network and storage.

Then you would install ESXi on the local disk of boot over SAN ? then add this ESXi host in vCenter to the cluster, having nodes on the HP C7000 and UCS; then you could vmotion VM's to the new platform.

We have done many such migrations in a nondisruptive fashion.

Walter.

yes, we can do that for VMs. But what about physical servers?

physical server = e.g. ESXi ? you have to install this in your UCS blades ? same would apply for Windows and/or Linux ? I don't see any other solution ?

I was looking to see if therewas a online migration tool , lik eEMC Host Migration Enabler, between HP and EMC storage.

Hi,

beyond what Walter Dey said ... take a look at this link: Data Center Case Study: How Cisco IT Migrates Critical Applications from HP Superdome to Unified Computing System.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: