Views
Helpful
Replies

monitor UCS via SNMP and syslog

leosp1988
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am doing some tests (in the laboratory) to analyze the possibility of creating the monitoring of a Cisco UCS, below it follows the tools that I am using for this laboratory;

Cisco UCS Platform Emulator (versions 3.1.2e and 2.5.2a)
Cygwin Terminal (for SNMP-GET)
iReasoning MIB BROWSER (for SNMP-GET and TRAP-RECEIVER)

It turns out that I can not give an SNMP-GET or receive a TRAP from UCS, I access the interface, enable SNMP in both the GUI and the CLI and not the impression I have is that the settings are not applied.

When I do a telnet test on ports 161 and 162 by my machine for UCS does not close, always from the "connection refused" error, I can only close telnet on SSH, HTTP, HTTPS ports (already configured by default), As well, there are no firewalls between my workstation and VM.

Can anyone tell me if there is any additional configuration I should be doing to enable SNMP in UCS?

6 Replies 6

leosp1988
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me?

Hello Austin,

I followed exactly the steps outlined in the document you passed and it does not work, see...

Network Config...

config_interfaces.JPG

My IP...

myip.JPG

First test - GET SNMP - (configuring SNMP);

step1.JPG

After setting, I click on "Save Changes". In my understanding, should already work without problems GET SNMP after this configuration is done, here are my tests;

Cygwin (GET SNMP);

cygwin_test.JPG

Already a telnet on the "standard" UCS ports (80, 22, and 443) normally closes ...

Second test - TRAP SNMP - (configuring SNMP);

step2.JPG

iReasoning MIB Browser (to RECEIVE TRAPS SNMP);

mib_browserconfig.JPG

Waiting for TRAP;

trap_receiver.JPG

I do not get a trap ever, I can tinker with everything in UCS that I do not get any trap, I can turn off servers, blades, chassis, disable and enable interfaces that nothing happens, I do not even receive a SNMP TRAP.

On new telnet tests on the TRAP port (162)

telnet_trap.JPG

Should I do any additional configuration?
Remembering that I'm using the UCS Platform Emulator
Sorry for any translation problems (by google)

Hello

I have the same configurations that you do in my lab and SNMP works without issue. It may be a limitation with UCSPE, but I don't have much experience with it.

Wes

Austin,

Did you use UCSPE or do you have a lab with hardware (other than the emulator)?

Thanks

MykolasB74835
Level 1
Level 1
Don’t want to create new topic yet. We have 4x UCS 6332 domains all running version 4. Snmp v3 and v2 snmpwalk timesout after retrieving few OIDs. Was anyone successful in monitoring UCS FI version 4 over SNMP?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card