Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move from FC Switch to End Host Mode

In our environment, our FC switching was provided by the UCS 6120s in switch mode.

We subsequently added a pair of MDS9124s to the environment and merged the zones.

To complete the change, we have to configure the 6120s in end host mode.

Do you know if the configuration change is disruptive for the server infrastructure?

I understand the the 6120s will reboot, but will they reboot in a synchronized manner that will allow one of the fabrics to remain up and accessible for the hosts?

Or do I have to take an outage to shutdown the host to make this change?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Daniel,

This is totally disruptive for the servers.  I reproduce the escenario and tested blade connection for a blade booting from SAN and here are my notes:

" Even when I changed only the subordinate FI, I lost connectivity to the server booting from SAN and connectivity to UCSM.

Subordinate eventually comes up and a couple of minutes later the primary does the same and finally the

Virtual IP responded to pings.

Minutes later the OS finally came up and recover OS connections.

When I had a chance to log back in to UCSM, the change from SW mode to EHM was effective for both Fabrics

and had no errors anywhere "

I hope that helps you plan the window, to me this took like 10 minutes and I used UCSM 2.0(3c)

Rate any helpful answer.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Daniel,

This is totally disruptive for the servers.  I reproduce the escenario and tested blade connection for a blade booting from SAN and here are my notes:

" Even when I changed only the subordinate FI, I lost connectivity to the server booting from SAN and connectivity to UCSM.

Subordinate eventually comes up and a couple of minutes later the primary does the same and finally the

Virtual IP responded to pings.

Minutes later the OS finally came up and recover OS connections.

When I had a chance to log back in to UCSM, the change from SW mode to EHM was effective for both Fabrics

and had no errors anywhere "

I hope that helps you plan the window, to me this took like 10 minutes and I used UCSM 2.0(3c)

Rate any helpful answer.

-Kenny

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, I don't have a

We have scheduled downtime to make the change.

Do you have a brief checklist of the tasks required to make this change?

Is it as simple as ...

Shutdown UCS Servers (B230M2)

Change FI FC Mode from Switch to End-Host

Enable NPIV on MDS 9124s

Set Port Channels from FC ports on FIs to MDS 9124s

Power up single host and verify connectivity.

Hi Keny

I have a big installation where we have to do this.

Q. this worked because the zoning on the FI in switch mode, was extended to the MDS ? Correct ?

Q. were there not any errors with the SP ? which is different for FC switch mode and FC EHM.

Thanks for any clarfication.

Cheers Walter.

Hey Walter,

I dont remember at this point but the change reboots the FIs so it will still be disruptive... are you talking about an environment you are currently doing or planning on doing local zoning?

-Kenny

Hi Kenny

Its a big environment (4 UCS domains); direct storage attachment, FC switch mode, which will be migrated to FC EHM.

Walter.

ok, well still will be disruptive as FIs will reboot.

The FIs mode should be transparent to the servers, so I didnt see any errors in the SPs.

HTH,

-Kenny

Kenny,

I'm wondering if you have completed this conversion and how it went. We are in the same boat as you were and need to change to ehm and move the zoning etc to a pair of mds's. If you were successful at completing this any steps or critical things that you ran into would be great.

Thanks

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: