cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move OS to new UCS domain

gdesmo123
Level 1
Level 1

I have a some physical windows servers on B200 M4's installed on raid 1 HD's. Want to move the OS's to new UCS domain. These can stay on existing blades or I have extra hardware to pull and put HD's with OS's I want to keep. I am aware of backing up/restoring pools, wwpn's etc... however I have no need to keep all this info. Can I pull exiting blades and add them to new UCS domain while creating a new SP? Or is it an easier option to pull HD's and put them into other B200 M4's already in the new UCS domain?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Most OS's will accommodate having the MAC/WWPNs reset.  You are probably better off moving the blade as a whole as the OS will still have the exact same processors, adapters, which may, may not be slightly different in a destination blade if you lifted the drives.  Just make sure your local disk policy is set to protect config before moving the blades.  The new service profiles and local disk policies (assuming they match i.e. raid 1) will not try to modify the local disk config.  If it does, you'll get an alert.

Kirk...

Yes I do like the idea of moving the whole blade. But in a few instances I have B420 M3 that I want to move the W2012 R2 OS (two disk raid1) to a newer B420 M4. I am assuming windows would be able to scan and adjust for for different processors, adapters, chips etc....

The B420 M3 has a LSI MegaRAID SAS 2208 ROMB controller (fw 3.1(3b))

The B420 M4 has a UCSB-MRAID12G (fw 3.1(3f))

Would moving the disks (protected raid 1 local disk policy) between the different storage controller types work?

Fork-lifting an OS's storage, and having it wake back up in a new architecture, and  different storage controller will have very questionable results (likely BSOD) without applying some sort of 'sysprep' process prior to shutting down.

Windows has never been very good at auto adapting to a very different set of equipment on bootup, especially different storage controller.

If there are some potential issues re-installing an application (for a fresh OS install scenario),,, then maybe do a P2V migration, and put the workload in ESXi.

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card