Views
Helpful
Replies

Move Uplink Port Channel to new switch VPC pair

churchillm
Level 1
Level 1

All 

I am looking for documentation around methods to move an existing Fabric Interconnect Uplink in a VxBlock from it present Nexus 5K switches to a new set of 93180YC switches 

I have two 5596 Switch in the standard VxBlock pairing with the related port channels from the fabric interconnects

I was wondering if there was anything wrong with the following approach 

I planned to Set up and configure the new switches with the required configuration, in such as set up the new 93180YC in a vPC pairing, add required vlans, connect to existing core and then look to move the Port Channels across one Port Channel at a time, starting with the connectivity from a single Fabric Interconnect 

But was wondering if this would cause an issue with the 5k switches VPC 

Thought the individual port channels coming out of the interconnects were separate entities, therefore as long as I move just the one series of links it should come back up on the new vPC pair of switches just as if it was a disjointed layer 2 connection 

has anybody got any documentation around the method of doing this safely, would this cause issue or outages to the connectivity for the remaining Uplinks on the original Nexus 5K  

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How is your Nexus 9K and Nexus 5K connected ? do you have high level diagram ?

If you do not have any network Loops, you can prepare all the work.  hope you doing this working maintenance window.

Shutdown from Nexus 5K, move the Links, and no shutdown from Nexus 9K and test.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It is a very simple set up. all vlans go other both up links

the port channel from the Cisco fabric Interconnect uses four ports connected to one switch and four ports connected to the vPC pair switch in a single port channel within Cisco UCS manager

it is a pretty standard vBlock build just need to replace the switches with newer models due to t

As long as you have appropriate maintenance window to cut over, i do not see any issue here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card