Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Service Profile from B200 M4 with SSD to B200 M5 without SSD fails

rmxyz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to associate a service profile (based off a service profile template (SPT)) to a B200 M5, (without local disk) having previously been attached to a B200 M4 with local SSD, but it fails with apparently two errors:

Service profile configuration failed due to insufficient-resources,incompatible-number-of-local-disks

Regarding 'incompatible number of local disks' my immediate thoughts were to check the 'Local Disk Configuration' policy associated with the SPT. These are the settings, although initially the 'protect configuration' setting was ticked:

cache.PNG

As this kept generating an error, I unticked the 'Protect Configuration' setting and tried disassociating and re-associating the profile against the M5. Same error.

As the M5s don't have local disks I could understand why it would fail due to the 'No RAID' setting, except for the fact that we have SPs generated from the same SPT applied to M3 blades that also have no local disks - these do not have configuration errors. So, why would M3s without local disks work with the service profile template and not the M5 blades?

Any ideas?

Running UCS 3.2(2f) on both Infrastructure and Blades.

Cheers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I understand your concerns. Unbinding wont cause any issues and once you re-bind, everything will revert back.

You will need to unbind, and try with a new local disk configuration policy, since if you modify "Cache" it will cause other servers to prompt reboot.

I believe the error you are getting is related to the fact "protect configuration" was checked previously.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What happens when you try with "Any Configuration" for your RAID mode?

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that this SP is that it's bound to a SPT which defines the Local Disk Policy. If I change that to 'Any Configuration' it warns me that it would request a reboot to all other existing SPs (that are in use / running our production workloads and I don't wish to reboot them) and so obviously (despite a user-ack maintenance policy) I haven't done this.

Are there any repercussions to unbinding the SP from the SPT, modifying the disk policy to test it, and then rebinding it to the template later on and re-assigning to the original M4 blade? My concern is that unbinding would remove associations with other things like mgmt IP addresses, UUIDs etc. Or, as I hope, will it just keep those and become independent from the SPT?

Thanks.

I understand your concerns. Unbinding wont cause any issues and once you re-bind, everything will revert back.

You will need to unbind, and try with a new local disk configuration policy, since if you modify "Cache" it will cause other servers to prompt reboot.

I believe the error you are getting is related to the fact "protect configuration" was checked previously.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card