Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to iSCSI Boot B200-M2, but get "Not enough vNICs available"

petar.smilajkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to set up iSCSI boot of ESXi on a B200-M2 w/ M71KR-Q card on it.

I add vNIC A and B (each tied to one fabric repectively), but when trying to set up an iSCSI vNIC - I get the error that "Not enough vNICs available".

From searching around, it seems that M71KR-Q may only support 2 vNICs (which I also confirmed by trying to add a third one in, same error message as above).

I just thought that since iSCSI vNIC's overlay the real ones - it would work.

However, even when adding just 1 vNIC and trying to overlay an iSCSI vNIC over it - I get the "There are not enough resources overall, Not enough vNICs available" error message.

Does anyone knwo if it is even possible to iSCSI boot on B200-M2 w/ M71KR-Q on?

Thanks in advance!

Petar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please refer to this doc in the documents section for iSCSI boot https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18756 it is very detailed if I can say so myself.

iSCSI boot is only supported on the CiscoVIC adapters and Broadcom mezz. It is not supported on the M71KR-Q Qlogic Gen-1 mezz.

Dave

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

petar.smilajkov
Level 1
Level 1

I should note, I am on latest 2.1 (1d) version, and all hardware underneath has been udpated as well.

The errors I get show up when I try to change the server profile - the configuration fails due to those errors as noted.

Thanks.

Please refer to this doc in the documents section for iSCSI boot https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18756 it is very detailed if I can say so myself.

iSCSI boot is only supported on the CiscoVIC adapters and Broadcom mezz. It is not supported on the M71KR-Q Qlogic Gen-1 mezz.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

We used our UCS w/ FC storage before, and then decomissioned it. Now I wanted to use it for some other stuff, where I'd need to boot from iSCSI instead of FC, however, I see it is not possible with their current config.

I guess I'll have to resort to VMware's AutoDeploy and boot via PXE instead.

Thank you once again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card