Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Traffic Analyzer Software Running on the UCS B Chassis

How to configure UCS-B chassis so I can run network traffic analyzer software on one of the blade servers. I presume this will not work in end-host mode but it should in normal ethernet switching mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My topology is simple. I have couple of switches that will use monitor session or VACL to capture traffic and send this traffic out of the physical ports. I will than connect those interfaces to the FI and somehow transport this traffic to the veth interface of the blade server. Is this possible? I can configure FI in end-host or normal switching mode, this is not a problem but I need topology that would work.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think I've seen this successfully setup in switching mode (definitely does not work in end host mode due to FIs not passing on unknown unicast)

Most of the time we see some kind of ERspan implementation, or an integrated  UCS rack server with add in NICs that are connected directly to northbound switches, and which nics are not managed by the UCSM.  The LOM ports get disabled in a direct connect UCSM integration, but add in NICs should still be configurable by the OS.

Thanks,

Kirk...

I was afraid of this, ERSPAN is not scalable enough for our needs. I will try to play around in ethernet switching mode maybe there is a way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: