cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to UCS 5108 Thermal Error now power supply blinking green

fgoodwin
Level 1
Level 1

New to a UCS 5108 set up by someone else.  The Fans are currently running full speed. UCS Managers showed  "Thermal Problems Upper Non Recoverable but all temps seem to be below 40C. In checking the web it could be an IC2 error and suggestions were to unplug the fans 1 at a time. Did this and all fans came back on line but at still at full speed. It also suggested to unplug the Power supplies one at a time. Unplugged PS4 1st and reseated but the LED just flashes green. Unplugged several times and reseated but it still just flashed green. The supply was a solid green before I unplugged it. The UCS Manager shows the power supply is OK but in a power save state. Did not want to unplug the remaining supplies until PS4 came back online.  It also showed the FSM:Stage Failed:EquipmentChassisPowerCap:Config. after the power supply was removed. The Power Policy is N+1. All power supplies are running version 3.00 firmware. UCS Manager System3.1(3b) with UCS Manager Service Pack 3.1(3 SP0.   Any Suggestions?

3 Replies 3

itm.i11.team
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we encountered a similar problem. UCSM showed thermal errors and the fans would spin on full speed.

We solved the problem by upgrading some old Blade firmware on servers that were seated in the chassis.

Maybe you have an old firmware running on one of your servers that is causing that issue.

Regards

Martin

Thanks for the reply. It looks like all the blades (5 of them) are running the same versions. Will need to dig awhile to see if these are old or not, but I am thinking they were updated to the latest version 6 months ago before the person that set them up left employment here. Will post back when I find out more.

It's possible that a specific blade's CIMC is not responding to the various thermal polls.

Really old firmware (or firmware in blade that significantly newer than IOM/infrastructure version) among other things can cause this.

This will be evident in the Chassis tech supports logs.

I would open a TAC case.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card