Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New UCS C210 problem with Video Monitor Output

Hi All,

We have just bought a new Cisco UCS C210 M2 product for our CUCM migration to Virtual Machines. We have plugged an HP Monitor and a USB keyboard to start work with the UCS. Then we plugged the server to the power socket and power up the server, the fan was functioning properly for its initial blow. However I could not see the monitor going up and I can't see if it is booting properly. We waited and notice that the keyboard seems to be working as you can see the num lock and scroll lock works.

I unplugged the monitor from the front console connection using the foxconn connector that came with it and plugged it at the DB15 port at the back. Same result the monitor doesn't output anything.

So I moved on to the second UCS server using the same keyboard and mouse, everything is working.

Have anyone experienced this problem of the monitor not working? If so please share how to fix it.

Otherwise our conclusion would be that Cisco sent us a defective hardware or it became defective during transport.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok the fans spinning up and then down along with the lights on the front would indicate to me the server itself is ok and booting up normally. The fact that you used this monitor on another UCS in the same manner seems to indicate the issue is most likely with this server and a video out issue. I would suggest opening a TAC case and include all these steps you have taken. If you are able you may try reseating all your memory and booting up the server again.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ramon,

Have you tried booting the server with the monitor removed first and wait 5 minutes and plug the monitor in to see if it works?

Have you tried using the KVM connections from the back of the server?

Do you hear any beeps?

You mentioned that the fans would spin up when it was first booted up. Do the fans spin down or do they stay at 100%?

What lights do you have lit on the front of the srver?

Hi Anikas,

I have tried booting the server without the monitor and plug it after 10 mins, monitor just goes to sleep no detected video output.

I have tried using the D15 connection at the back also, no progress also.

I do hear three beeps after the fans spin down. Just to be clear the fans do spin 100% and spin down after almost a minute or so.

On the front panel I only see green light on the power button, which indicate the whole system is up and running. I just dont see the video output which result in not having to configure the CIMC IP address.

Thank you for your reply,

Ramon

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok the fans spinning up and then down along with the lights on the front would indicate to me the server itself is ok and booting up normally. The fact that you used this monitor on another UCS in the same manner seems to indicate the issue is most likely with this server and a video out issue. I would suggest opening a TAC case and include all these steps you have taken. If you are able you may try reseating all your memory and booting up the server again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Anikas,

Reseating the memory solved the issue.

Thanks a lot.

I'm glad I was able to help.

Here are the instructions for setting up the CIMC

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10493/products_configuration_example09186a0080b10d66.shtml

Andreas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card