Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000V design/implementation

jojsanto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have a premium partner who is an ATP on Data Center Unified Computing. He posted this question, hopefully you can help me provide resolution.

I have questions about nexus 1KV design/implementation:

-How migrate virtual switchs distint to vswitch0 (in each ESX server has 3 vswitches and the installation wizard of VMS only migrate vswicht0)?? for example others vswitchs with others vlan.. please tell me how...
-With VUM (vmware update manager) is possible install VEM modules in ESX Servers ??? or must install VEM manually in each ESX Server?
-Supposing of VUM install all VEM modules, the VEM version (vib package) is automatically compatible with build existen vmware version?
-is need to create PACKET-MANAGEMENT-CONTROL port groups in ALL esx servers before to migrate to Nexus 1000? or only VEM installation is enough???
-According to the Cisco manuals VSM can participate in VMOTION, but, how? .. what is the recommendation?..when the primary VMS is moving, the secondary VSM take control?? that occurs with connectivity in all virtual machines?
-When there two clusters in one vmware vcenter, how must install/configure VSM?
-For High Availability concepts, wich is the best choices of design of nexus? considering vmware features (FT,DRS, VMOTION, Cluster)
-How to migrate existent Kernel iSCSI port group to nexus? .. what are the steps? in cisco manual"Migration from VMware vSwitch to Cisco Nexus 1000V" show how to generate the port-profile, but
how to create the iSCSI target? (ip address, user/password) ..where is it defined?
-Supposing of the licences of VEM is not enough for all ESX servers,, ¿will happen to the connectivity of your virtual machines in hosts without VEM licences? ¿can operate with vmware vswitches?

I must install nexus 1000V in vmware plataform with VDI, with severals Servers ESX, with 3 vswitch on each ESX Server, with severals virtual machinne running, two clusters defined with vmotion and DRS active and central storage with iSCSI

I have severals cisco manuals about nexus, but i see special focus in installations topics, the options for migrations is not extensive item, ¿do you have "success stories" or customers experiences of implementation with migrations with nexus?

Thank you in advance.

Jojo Santos

Cisco Partner Helpline Presales

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for the questions Jojo but this 1000v type question is better suited for the Nexus 1000v forum:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/products/nexus1000v

Answers inline.  I suggest you go through the Getting Started Guides to gain a firm base understanding of concepts & operations before deploying.

jojsanto wrote:

Hi Team,

I have a premium partner who is an ATP on Data Center Unified Computing. He posted this question, hopefully you can help me provide resolution.

-How migrate virtual switchs distint to vswitch0 (in each ESX server has 3 vswitches and the installation wizard of VMS only migrate vswicht0)?? for example others vswitchs with others vlan.. please tell me how...

[Robert] After your initial installation you can easily migrate all VMs within the same vSwitch Port Group at the same time using the Network Migration Wizard.  Simply go to Home - Inventory - Networking, right click on the 1000v DVS and select "Migrate Virtual Machine Networking..."   Follow the wizard to select your Source (vSwitch Port Groups) & Destination DVS Port Profiles

-With VUM (vmware update manager) is possible install VEM modules in ESX Servers ??? or must install VEM manually in each ESX Server?

[Robert] As per the Getting Started & Installation guides, you can use either VUM or manual installation method for VEM software install.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_3/getting_started/configuration/guide/n1000v_gsg.html

-Supposing of VUM install all VEM modules, the VEM version (vib package) is automatically compatible with build existen vmware version?

[Robert] Yes.  Assuming VMware has added all the latest VEM software to their online repository, VUM will be able to pull down & install the correct one automatically.

-is need to create PACKET-MANAGEMENT-CONTROL port groups in ALL esx servers before to migrate to Nexus 1000? or only VEM installation is enough???

[Robert] If you're planning on keeping the 1000v VSM on vSwitches (rather than migrating itself to the 1000v) then you'll need the Control/Mgmt/Packet port groups on each host you ever plan on running/hosting the VSM on.  If you create the VSM port group on the 1000v DVS, then they will automatically exist on all hosts that are part of the DVS.

-According to the Cisco manuals VSM can participate in VMOTION, but, how? .. what is the recommendation?..when the primary VMS is moving, the secondary VSM take control?? that occurs with connectivity in all virtual machines?

[Robert] Since a VMotion does not really impact connectivity for a significant amount of time, the VSM can be easily VMotioned around even if its a single Standalone deployment.  Just like you can vMotion vCenter (which manages the actual task) you can also Vmotion a standalone or redundant VSM without problems.  No special considerations here other than usual VMotion pre-reqs.

[Robert] No different.  The only consideration that changes "how" you install a VSM is a vCenter with multiple DanaCenters. VEM hosts can only connect to a VSM that reside within the same DC.  Different clusters are not a problem.

-For High Availability concepts, wich is the best choices of design of nexus? considering vmware features (FT,DRS, VMOTION, Cluster)

[Robert] There are multiple "Best Practice" designs which discuss this in great detail.  I've attached a draft doc one on this thread. A public one will be available in the coming month. Some points to consider is that you do not need FT.  FT is still maturing, and since you can deploy redundany VSMs at no additional cost, there's no need for it.  For DRS you'll want to create a DRS Rule to avoid ever hosting the Primar & Secondary VSM on the same host.

-How to migrate existent Kernel iSCSI port group to nexus? .. what are the steps? in cisco manual"Migration from VMware vSwitch to Cisco Nexus 1000V" show how to generate the port-profile, but
how to create the iSCSI target? (ip address, user/password) ..where is it defined?

[Robert] You can migrate any VMKernel port from vCenter by selecting a host, go to the Networking Configuration - DVS and select Manage Virtual Adapters - Migrate Existing Virtual Adapter. Then follow the wizard.  Before you do so, create the corresponding vEth Port Profile on your 1000v, assign appropriate VLAN etc.  All VMKernel IPs are set within vCenter, 1000v is Layer 2 only, we don't assign Layer 3 addresses to virtual ports (other than Mgmt).  All the rest of the iSCSI configuration is done via vCenter - Storage Adapters as usual (for Targets, CHAP Authentication etc)

-Supposing of the licences of VEM is not enough for all ESX servers,, ¿will happen to the connectivity of your virtual machines in hosts without VEM licences? ¿can operate with vmware vswitches?

[Robert] When a VEM comes online with the DVS, if there are not enough available licensses to license EVERY socket, the VEM will show as unlicensed.  Without a license, the virtual ports will not come up.  You should closely watch your licenses using the "show license usage" and "show license usage " for detailed allocation information.  At any time a VEM can still utilize a vSwitch - with or without 1000v licenses, assuming you still have adapters attached to the vSwitches as uplinks.

I must install nexus 1000V in vmware plataform with VDI, with severals Servers ESX, with 3 vswitch on each ESX Server, with severals virtual machinne running, two clusters defined with vmotion and DRS active and central storage with iSCSI

I have severals cisco manuals about nexus, but i see special focus in installations topics, the options for migrations is not extensive item, ¿do you have "success stories" or customers experiences of implementation with migrations with nexus?

[Robert] Have a good look around the Nexus 1000v community Forum.   Lots of stories and information you may find helpful.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for the questions Jojo but this 1000v type question is better suited for the Nexus 1000v forum:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/products/nexus1000v

Answers inline.  I suggest you go through the Getting Started Guides to gain a firm base understanding of concepts & operations before deploying.

jojsanto wrote:

Hi Team,

[Robert] After your initial installation you can easily migrate all VMs within the same vSwitch Port Group at the same time using the Network Migration Wizard.  Simply go to Home - Inventory - Networking, right click on the 1000v DVS and select "Migrate Virtual Machine Networking..."   Follow the wizard to select your Source (vSwitch Port Groups) & Destination DVS Port Profiles

[Robert] As per the Getting Started & Installation guides, you can use either VUM or manual installation method for VEM software install.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_3/getting_started/configuration/guide/n1000v_gsg.html

[Robert] Yes.  Assuming VMware has added all the latest VEM software to their online repository, VUM will be able to pull down & install the correct one automatically.

[Robert] If you're planning on keeping the 1000v VSM on vSwitches (rather than migrating itself to the 1000v) then you'll need the Control/Mgmt/Packet port groups on each host you ever plan on running/hosting the VSM on.  If you create the VSM port group on the 1000v DVS, then they will automatically exist on all hosts that are part of the DVS.

[Robert] Since a VMotion does not really impact connectivity for a significant amount of time, the VSM can be easily VMotioned around even if its a single Standalone deployment.  Just like you can vMotion vCenter (which manages the actual task) you can also Vmotion a standalone or redundant VSM without problems.  No special considerations here other than usual VMotion pre-reqs.

[Robert] No different.  The only consideration that changes "how" you install a VSM is a vCenter with multiple DanaCenters. VEM hosts can only connect to a VSM that reside within the same DC.  Different clusters are not a problem.

[Robert] There are multiple "Best Practice" designs which discuss this in great detail.  I've attached a draft doc one on this thread. A public one will be available in the coming month. Some points to consider is that you do not need FT.  FT is still maturing, and since you can deploy redundany VSMs at no additional cost, there's no need for it.  For DRS you'll want to create a DRS Rule to avoid ever hosting the Primar & Secondary VSM on the same host.

[Robert] You can migrate any VMKernel port from vCenter by selecting a host, go to the Networking Configuration - DVS and select Manage Virtual Adapters - Migrate Existing Virtual Adapter. Then follow the wizard.  Before you do so, create the corresponding vEth Port Profile on your 1000v, assign appropriate VLAN etc.  All VMKernel IPs are set within vCenter, 1000v is Layer 2 only, we don't assign Layer 3 addresses to virtual ports (other than Mgmt).  All the rest of the iSCSI configuration is done via vCenter - Storage Adapters as usual (for Targets, CHAP Authentication etc)

[Robert] When a VEM comes online with the DVS, if there are not enough available licensses to license EVERY socket, the VEM will show as unlicensed.  Without a license, the virtual ports will not come up.  You should closely watch your licenses using the "show license usage" and "show license usage " for detailed allocation information.  At any time a VEM can still utilize a vSwitch - with or without 1000v licenses, assuming you still have adapters attached to the vSwitches as uplinks.

[Robert] Have a good look around the Nexus 1000v community Forum.   Lots of stories and information you may find helpful.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the response. Will be updating my partner about this...

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: