Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v, UCS and Microsoft NLB

TheSix2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a customer who is implementing a new Exchange 2010 environment. They have a requirement to configure load balancing for thier Client Access Servers. The environment consists of VMware vShpere running on top of Cisco UCS Blades with the Nexus 1000v dvSwitch.

Everything I have read so far indicates that I should do the following:

1. Configure MS load balancing in Multicast mode (with the IGMP option selected).

2. Create a static ARP entry for the virtual cluster address on the router for the server subnet.

3. (Maybe) configure a static MAC table entry on the router for the server subnet.

3. (Maybe) disable IGMP snooping on the appropriate VLAN within the Nexus 1000v.

My questions are:

1. Is anyone successfully running a similar configuration?

2. Are there any steps missing from the list above, or any that I should not do?

3. If I am disabling IGMP snooping on the Nexus 1000v should I also disable it on the UCS Fabric Interconnects and the router?

Many thanks for your time,

Aaron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aaron,

The steps you have above are correct, you will need steps 1 - 4 to get it working correctly.  Normally people will create a separate VLAN for their NLB interfaces/subnet, to prevent uncessisary flooding of mcast frames within the network.

To answer your questions

1) I've seen multiple customer run this configuration

2) The steps you have are correct

3) You can't enable/disable IGMP snooping on UCS.  It's enabled by default and not a configurable option.  There's no need to change anything within UCS in regards to MS NLB with the procedure above.  FYI - the ability to disable/enable IGMP snooping on UCS is slated for an upcoming release 2.1.

This is the correct method untill the time we have the option of configuring static multicast mac entries on

the Nexus 1000v.  If this is a feature you'd like, please open a TAC case and request for bug CSCtb93725 to be linked to your SR. 

This will give more "push" to our develpment team to prioritize this request.

Hopefully some other customers can share their experience.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aaron,

The steps you have above are correct, you will need steps 1 - 4 to get it working correctly.  Normally people will create a separate VLAN for their NLB interfaces/subnet, to prevent uncessisary flooding of mcast frames within the network.

To answer your questions

1) I've seen multiple customer run this configuration

2) The steps you have are correct

3) You can't enable/disable IGMP snooping on UCS.  It's enabled by default and not a configurable option.  There's no need to change anything within UCS in regards to MS NLB with the procedure above.  FYI - the ability to disable/enable IGMP snooping on UCS is slated for an upcoming release 2.1.

This is the correct method untill the time we have the option of configuring static multicast mac entries on

the Nexus 1000v.  If this is a feature you'd like, please open a TAC case and request for bug CSCtb93725 to be linked to your SR. 

This will give more "push" to our develpment team to prioritize this request.

Hopefully some other customers can share their experience.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: