Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v with UCS M72KRQ Adapters

jecker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for a little clarification on the Nexus 1000v with UCS and ESXi.  I have my VSM installed and have defined my port group for packet control and management.

My question has to do with assigning the VEM physical interfaces.  Since the M72KRQ only supports 1 physical adapter my ESXi host has 2 nics presented to it.  I know I need to assign both NIC's in VMware to the VEM, however I would like to know what happens with the vswitch 0?

Do I remove all the port groups for vswitch 0 (like packet and control) and create a management port profile in the VSM so I can map the vswitch 0 to this port profile?  I just don't want to blow away vswitch 0 and not be able to connect to my ESXi host any longer.

Also can you run the VSM and VEM on the same ESXi host, or should the VSM run on it's on dedicated ESXi box?

One last question about QoS.  In this module I am know there are some QoS conciderations that need to come into play, but I am looking for some configuration how to specificly setup the QoS on the 1000v in this senario.

Thanks. 

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Lots of good questions.

Answered inline.

Regards,

Robert

My question has to do with assigning the VEM physical interfaces.  Since the M72KRQ only supports 1 physical adapter my ESXi host has 2 nics presented to it.  I know I need to assign both NIC's in VMware to the VEM, however I would like to know what happens with the vswitch 0?

[Rob] You don't have to assign both interfaces to the VEM for DVS uplinks, but it's good practice for redundancy.  The vSwitch should have any functional port groups created on the VSM, and then migrate the VMs from the vSwitch to the DVS port profiles.  There's a Network migration wizard to easily move all source port groups to your destination port profile in one swoop.  The vSwitch can remain if you wish.  No harm in leaving it, but as there will be no uplinks, it will not be functional.  Most people remove it, but you can always recreate it from CLI or restore the vSwitch from the ESXi console screen.

Do I remove all the port groups for vswitch 0 (like packet and control) and create a management port profile in the VSM so I can map the vswitch 0 to this port profile?  I just don't want to blow away vswitch 0 and not be able to connect to my ESXi host any longer.

[Rob] You don't map between the two.  You will create a similar port profile for each port group based on your VM roles (web servers, mail servers etc) or however you wish to great your port profiles.  Then you just migrate the VMs and virtual interfaces (vmk's) from the vSwitch to the 1000v DVS - see above answer.

Also can you run the VSM and VEM on the same ESXi host, or should the VSM run on it's on dedicated ESXi box?

[Rob] Yes.  This is perfectly fine.  Ensure all the VSM's interfaces assigned to 1000v port profiles are defined as "system vlans".  Do a search here in the communities for more information on system vlans and their function.

One last question about QoS.  In this module I am know there are some QoS conciderations that need to come into play, but I am looking for some configuration how to specificly setup the QoS on the 1000v in this senario.

[Rob] There are plenty of config guides, but the short answer is there's no cut and try QoS config to suit all environments.  It's best to do some reading through the config guides and white papers and then design your QoS scheme appropriately.  Similarly since you're using UCS, you can also assign QoS values at the 1000v level, and then configure UCS to "honour" these values and assign them to the approrpiate CoS queues.

Thanks, this was very helpful information. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: