cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5000 native FC to disk array and tape library

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to have servers connect by FCoE to nexus 5000 switches as well as native FC attached disk arrays and tape librarys without requiring an additional FC switch like the MDS 9000? The reason I ask is that all the diagrams I have seen on consolidated I/O to this point show MDS switches connected to the native FC ports on the nexus 5000. I had assumed the Nexus 5000 would be able to replace the MDS attaching both FCoE devices and native Fiber Channel devices. Not seeing such a diagram has me second guessing my initial thinking.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rammuthaiya
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can use FCoE and FC of Nexus 5000 for connecting to arrays. I tested and works fine without any issue.

For FCoE you should have FCoE module in arrays and appropriate licence.

Ram

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

rammuthaiya
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can use FCoE and FC of Nexus 5000 for connecting to arrays. I tested and works fine without any issue.

For FCoE you should have FCoE module in arrays and appropriate licence.

Ram

ram,

Thank you for the reply. Just to verify, are you saying that you can have servers and arrays connected to the Nexus 5000 either through FCoE or FC and would not require an external FC switch like the MDS 9000 or Brocade? Would the Nexus 5000 act as the FC switch in this scenario for zone configuration and all the other FC switch functions? Sorry, I'm not quite up to speed on storage terminology at this point. Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

That is correct.  You will need to run the N5K in "switch" mode (rather than npv mode) which will enable the FC services such as name server, zoning etc, which will function as your FC switching device. 

More information here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/san_switching/503_n2_1/b_Cisco_n5k_nxos_sanswitching_config_guide_rel503_n2_1.html

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the confirmation. The link was forbiden for me. Do you have a link that will work for the average joe?

Thanks,
Mark

Sorry about that, I've updated the link above, you can use it now.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Still got a forbidden message.

Mark

Here's the attachment.

Robert

Got it. Thanks much.

Mark

Hello guys.

Could you confirm that you are talking about scenario like below? And if it works?

Yes this is the scenario we were discussing. Below is additional information from Robert.

You will need to run the N5K in "switch" mode (rather than npv mode) which will enable the FC services such as name server, zoning etc, which will function as your FC switching device.

I hope you tested it as well then.

Like a summary. In order to get scenario like on attached diagram we need Cisco Nexus 5k:
- N5K FC "switch mode" enabled

- FCoE module and license installed

- correct N5k config

Do you have any config sample that you can share maybe for this particular scenario as a quick start guide?

Thank you!

This will work. You may also choose to run native FC between the servers and the N5K, unless cabling consolidation is the means for choosing FCoE.

Wes

"cabling consolidation is the means for choosing FCoE"

Yes, this is the reason.

I understand that in FC only "switch mode" I can archive FC-N5K-FC connectivity but FC-N5K-FCoE scenario with N5K "switch mode" concerns me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: