cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nic teaming with ucs blades

FedeGaibrel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys! I have a simple question, how should i configure the nic teaming in dvs. i didn´t find any guide about it.

We have ucs manager platform.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it's guest VM networking, then generally active active is what you want.

For Vmotion, you generally want to try to keep your Vmotion traffic EAST-WEST on local FI, so you will want to set Vmotion 'active' NIC for your hosts to be on the same FI, and the standby NIC to map to vNICs pinned to other FI. 

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For UCSM connected blades/rack servers, you need to leave the hashing algorithm to originating port ID.

The UCSM/FIs do not share a data or control plane, so you cannot use LACP/802.3ad.

With that config, you don't load balance inbound, but do load balance outbound traffic.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Ok Kirk, thanks! I have two uplinks per dvs. Should they being configured in active/active or active/standby?

If it's guest VM networking, then generally active active is what you want.

For Vmotion, you generally want to try to keep your Vmotion traffic EAST-WEST on local FI, so you will want to set Vmotion 'active' NIC for your hosts to be on the same FI, and the standby NIC to map to vNICs pinned to other FI. 

Thanks,

Kirk...

Ok Kirk, thanks! I have two uplinks per dvs. Should they being configured in active/active or active/standby?

Route Based on Originating Port ID and Route Based on Source MAC Hash are supported in UCS. Please find Cisco reference document below:

Document: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-b-series-blade-servers/200519-UCS-B-series-Teaming-Bonding-Options-wi.html

Regards,

Anarv Handoo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card