cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No disk drive was detected during Ubuntu OS install on new UCS 240 M5Lserver

shankrappa
Level 1
Level 1

We have new Cisco Rack Server with below configuration ,configured RAID 1 for OS drive and RAID 6 for Data Drive

Cisco UCS 240 M5L

Firmware Version : 4.0(1c)

Cisco 12 G modular Raid Controller .

Below are BIOS configured Options such as

P-SATA Option ROM: LSI RAID

M.2.SATA Option ROM: AHCI

We are trying to install Ubuntu Server 16.04.5 LTS, but during installation of OS, no disk drive was detected(find the attached screen shot to know error during OS Install.

But as per Cisco compatibility Matrix , Ubuntu Server 16.04.5 LTS is supported for UCS 240 M5L with FW 4.0(1).

To isolate hardware issue, we tried to install Cento OS and was usefully installed OS. So please someone can help us , can’t we install Ubuntu Server 16.04.5 on C 240 M5 L or any advice/solution .

Thanks in advance for your support

6 Replies 6

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

HCL as some notes associated with the server and 4.01 release:

• 7 : All drivers are inbox only
  • 13 : When using the KVM for display, the resolution must be changed, please refer to wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
  • 42 : M5 platform requires Ubuntu Hwkernel to detect the Local LUN and enic Driver is included with the operating system

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Thanks,

Kirk.. 

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the response. I am bit new to Cisco UCS and using C240 M5SX. and I am facing the same issue while trying to install Ubuntu 16.4  (ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso). It is not detecting the storage. basically there is no driver to interact with Cisco 12G Modular Raid Controller. I tried to break the virtual drive and separate out the physical drives and set one physical drive as boot drive but no luck.

Can you please help me on this ?

Thanks and Regards

Prasanna   

Same problem here - what is the fix?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack 

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Xenial Xerus

The 16.04.2 and newer point releases will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default for the desktop. Server installations will default to the GA kernel and provide the enablement kernel as optional.

The 16.04 HWE Stacks will follow a new Rolling Update Model as documented at the following location:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/RollingLTSEnablementStack

It is highly recommended to read the above documentation before executing the following commands, as the HWE model has changed in 16.04.

Installing the HWE stack is simple:

DESKTOP

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04 

SERVER

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 

ok thanks for the link but a bit of verbiage around it would be good (-: 

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 on UCS M5 chassis bare-metal - When it gets to the point of disk-selection there is nothing listed.  I can't execute any commands as the OS is not installed.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Inside the installer, press Ctrl + Alt + F2 followed by Enter to open a shell. 

You can go back to installer menu by hitting  Ctrl + Alt + F1

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card